Re: Cameleon packages available

On Mon, Oct 14, 2002 at 10:01:28AM +0200, Georges Mariano wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Oct 2002 09:34:11 +0200
> Sven LUTHER <luther@dpt-info.u-strasbg.fr> wrote:
>
> > apt-get -t unstable install ocaml hevea bibtex2html ocaml-ioxml
> >
> > should do the work, if it does not, please tell us or submit bug
> > reports.
>
> Q : what is the "work" to be done ??

Well, it should install for you ocaml 3.06 as well as the corresponding
packages you need (hevea, bibtex2html, ocaml-ioxml) as well as their
dependencies.

This time, there shouldn't be any kind of major upgrade like when you
still had xfree 3 installed, so it should be a less big set of
dependencies.

And anyway, like said, there is the woody rebuild repository from
Stefano, and all package should rebuild without problems.

> > But then, if you insist in running only woody stuff,
> Wrong. I'm not insisting on that. I would like to run only (really)
> required stuff. This is why I'v choosen Debian a few years ago.
>
> [upgrading to ocaml3.06, leads to libc6 (>= 2.2.5-13)]

And what is the problem with that ? It will install you an upgraded
version of libc6, but it will not force the upgrade of thousands of
other packages, like you are afraid of, just libc6 and libc6-dev.

> > Just be a bit more positive about this issue, and don't start
> > complaining just because you don't want to do it the way it will
> > work.
> Avoiding the real interesting question "how it *should* work" ??
> (e.g. installing ioxml without upgrading OCaml 3.04, may be there are
> other examples like this one.)

Why do you want to stay with 3.04 ?

Anyway, i will not do this for 3.04, but i am thinking about a scheme
which would enable us to install two developper suits of ocam lside by
side (that is, the compilers and libraries, not the apps).

> ok, see you again on the BTS...maybe.
>
> BTW : is there any mention in the policy that debian package
> dependencies should "stick" to the upstream ones ?

There is no upstream dependencies here, since upstream distribute
sources, not binaries, and there is the difference. If upstream
distributed binaries they would have the same dependency problems as we
have.

Don't forget, don't just complain, but see the large picture, and the
reason for why things are as they are.