Re: purge_ld_conf.pl [Was: Re: the move to stublib]

On Tue, Sep 10, 2002 at 05:31:56PM +0200, Denis Barbier wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 10, 2002 at 09:39:15AM +0200, Sven LUTHER wrote:
> [...]
> >   Well there are two problems with this:
> >
> >   => The first is only potential since the /var/lib/ocaml/ld.conf is not that
> >   big anyway, it is that we have to list directories to see if they are empty,
> >   which may be a bit heavy for the system, especially if we do this many
> >   times.
>
> As you said, this risk is only potential ;)
> Testing whether this directory exist should be enough, isn't it?

It doesn't solve the case where a package has a valid reason for having
an empty directory.

> [...]
> >   => The second problem is that if the cleanup script is only run one
> >   ocaml-base is installed, if later on we upgrade a broken library, We
> >   will have to rerun it.
>
> You only have to ensure that sarge packages are right, i.e. ocaml-base
> is fixed and all broken packages are uploaded at least once.  When
> done, you can forget this whole stuff, which is IMO much more convenient
> than dealing with a transition phase.

Well, but if you fix it once, and then the user install a broken library
package after the clenup script was run, it will be broken again.

So you think that having a cleanup script is the right idea, and not
having each library do the cleanup. I should advertize this script in
README.Debian or even in a debconf question maybe, so people will know
about it and be able to run it themselves.

I still don't like the directory parsing option, though ...

But then, i will come up with something before next week, and we will
see how it works.