Re: purge_ld_conf.pl [Was: Re: the move to stublib]

On Mon, Sep 09, 2002 at 05:14:00PM +0200, Sven LUTHER wrote:
[...]
> So, the long term goal is to have all packages install the stublibs into
> the standard place (and have all hand installed stuff put them into
> /usr/local/lib/ocaml/<version_number>/stublibs), so there is no more
> complex ld.conf handling necessary.
> Ocaml-ldconf will include these two dirs as hardcoded in ocaml-ldconf
> generating /usr/lib/ocaml/ld.conf (from the /etc and the /var ones, as
> before).
>
> We need to keep the current scheme going though, because it can server
> other purposes, and to keep backward compatibility with older libs, to
> give a breathing time for library maintainer before they have to change
> their packages acordyingly. (as an example, i did change mlgtk so it now
> complies to the new scheme, but i have keept camlzip still complying to
> the old scheme).
>
> Does this clarify things for you, or should i give more precisions ? In
> the later case, please tell me what exactly is that needs clarification,
> so i can respond to those questions.

Thanks for these explanations.

[...]
> The only real problem is that the new scheme does not really need this
> complexity anymore, so we will slowly phase it out, but keep it around
> in a working phase for exceptional uses and for easing the transition
> phase on library maintainers.

There are at least 2 alternatives:
  a.  a centralized clean-up, performed for instance by ocaml-base postinst
  b.  all libraries perform their own clean up.

If you choose (b), then calls to dh_ocamlld must be put in debian/rules
until sarge is released, and ocaml_packaging_policy must document this
practice.
OTOH with (a) there is no transition phase except for ocaml-base.
IMHO (a) ease maintainers' life.

Denis