Re: stublibs and bytecode only packages. Was: Re: Plans [Re: Cameleon 1.0]

On Fri, Sep 06, 2002 at 07:15:25PM +0200, Sven LUTHER wrote:
> > Am I missing something?

< snipped a lot of useful information >

Ok, thanks for the hints.

Anyway I was reasoning mainly about libraries (even if I forget to
mention it, sorry).
Libraries which ships .so can't be arch: all, but have to be
architecture dependent, this was may point.

On the other hand, we can surely state in the ocaml packaging policy to
build, where possible and useful (i.e. not cpu bound programs),
architecture independent ocaml based _programs_, this will be surely an
improvement for the user and for the spreading of ocaml programs.

Regarding the additional .debs that the user have to download (mainly
the additional 'ocaml-base' package, IMO this is not a problem because
it have to be downloaded only once and promote future reusability.

I'm really in favour of trading off one-package download overhead with
code sharing between many packages, this is also the philosophy behind
system shared objects.

Stefano Zacchiroli - undergraduate student of CS @ Univ. Bologna, Italy
zack@cs.unibo.it | ICQ# 33538863 | http://www.cs.unibo.it/~zacchiro
"I know you believe you understood what you think I said, but I am not
sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!" -- G.Romney