Re: stublibs and bytecode only packages. Was: Re: Plans [Re: Cameleon 1.0]

On Fri, Sep 06, 2002 at 07:15:25PM +0200, Sven LUTHER wrote:
> Ledit (with -custom) is Size: 98054.
> Ocaml-base is Size: 166000.
> Ledit (without -custom) is Size: 25850.
>
> So we gain 73Ko in the archive for i386 alone and if we multiply this
> for all supported archs, some of them even having bigger object size
> (powerpc for example) we may well save around 1 Mo archive space for
> this program alone, not counting the time needed to build it on all
> archives. The downside is that people wanting ledit and not having any
> use for ocaml would have to download 197850 of .debs instead of just
> 98054.
>
> Notice that this works well because ledit is built bytecode only, since
> it is not a speed hungry program.

Mmm, i just built and uploaded an Architecture: all ledit (1.10-6),
let's see how this goes, and we can always go back if people disagree
with this move.

When i get time, i may well experiment the bytecode/nativecode package
split with ledit.