Re: Versioning OCaml in Debian [Was: Re: Buglet in ocaml-ldconf]

On Wed, May 29, 2002 at 02:13:08PM +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Wed, May 29, 2002 at 10:48:52AM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
>
> > > Ok, but the problem is how we can implement this tool: we can't just use
> > > locate, the better that comes in my mind is findlib (try 'ocamlfind
> > > list'), but we have to impose the use of findlib to all debian packages!
> > > (this is a real minor effort anyway ...).
> >
> > Mostly the ocamlc -where is used, and we can trick it as above.
>
> Sven, what's your point about "imposing" findlib from debian ocaml
> policy?

I don't know, i personnally don't use findlib, and i guess there may be
problems with package where upstream don't use findlib.

That said, if you speak about having all libs provide meta files, i
think it is a good idea, maybe you could write a little paragraph about
it for inclusion in the policy (and maybe also a little howto on it, as
i guess not everyone knows how to write them, and/or where to look for
this info).

Apart from that, i think we must reach consensus by discution.

> > > Ok, but we (the sysadm) can't blame us as debian, he will have to blame
> > > the third part installation routine that doesn't install in a versioned
> > > subdir. We DD can just support versioned directories in /usr/local,
> > > nothing more.
> >
> > But they will blame us, witness to that is Sergio's complain that the
> > debian package will break its when hand installing libraries with
> > ld.conf files.
>
> Ok, and so ...?

Well, it is better to plan on this, and to not allow users to blow
themself with what upstream thinks is the right install way.

Having some consensus on this with the ocaml team would help a lot.

> With perl things are easier because every perl module install itself
> using the same tools, we can't solve this problem until we have a
> widespread tool for ocaml library distribution.

This is an upstream issue, anything we do cannot work if upstream
sources that people install by hand will not adopt it.

> IMO this tools exists and is findlib we can help its spreading adopting
> it as a debian default tool.

Mmm, there is no problem for debian package, the point is that not
debian packaged stuff should use it, and i am not sure if having findlib
be the default will help here.