Re: Versioning OCaml in Debian [Was: Re: Buglet in ocaml-ldconf]

On Wed, May 29, 2002 at 02:13:08PM +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Wed, May 29, 2002 at 10:48:52AM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> > This is not only something which makes ourt life (as developper) easier,
>
> I think that we always agree on this.
> The last mails we received from Denia are about versioning _third_part_
> libraries, not debian ones (even if I still miss how this can be
> done...).

Yes.

> > Finally, what is the point of this ? It is to keep multiple versions of
> > libraries around,

The reason why I am advocating for /usr/local/lib/ocaml/3.04/ is to help
admins which have to manage ocaml programs without knowing any single
ocaml command.
Again suppose he upgrades to ocaml-3.05, if something breaks weeks later
he will be unable to determine which modules he forgot to compile against
this new version, and he certainly won't find ocaml delightful.

[...]
> With perl things are easier because every perl module install itself
> using the same tools, we can't solve this problem until we have a
> widespread tool for ocaml library distribution.
> IMO this tools exists and is findlib we can help its spreading adopting
> it as a debian default tool.

IMO what makes Perl much more user-friendly is that an admin does not have
to know any command, he runs
    perl Makefile.PL
    make
    make install
(because he is told to do so by reading the README/INSTALL files) and
that's all.
But I agree with you that having a standardized tool is a valuable first
step towards ease of use.

Denis