Re: ocaml 3.04-5 in incoming ...

On Thu, Jan 24, 2002 at 02:09:58PM +0100, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 23, 2002 at 07:06:29PM +0100, Sven wrote:
> > Changes:
> >  ocaml (3.04-5) unstable; urgency=low
> >  .
> >    * Split ocamlc.opt, ocamlopt.opt and ocamllex.opt into the
> >      ocaml-native-compilers package.
> >    * The ocaml-best-compilers virtual package is provided by
> >      ocaml-native-compilers if it is built and by ocaml if not.
> >    * Added an ocaml-source package containing the source to ocaml for packages
> >      which need them as build-depends.
> >    * Applied Ian Zimmerman's caml.el patch. (Closes:#129650,#130301)
>
> What about moving ocaml documentation in /usr/share/doc/ocaml?

This is ongoing work on the ocaml-doc package, i will do it, but it has less
priority.

BTW, i have already applied your patch, but was going to add the camlp4 doc
aalso, as requested in a bug report. Once that is done i will upload the
package, but it am stopped by not knowing how to do this. Should i add a new
section begining with Format: HTML, or simply add the camlp4 to that first
section ?

I need to look into the documentation, but did not have the time to look into
it.

> > Notice that i created a ocaml-source package, which may contain not needed
> > stuff (ity is just a plain copy of the source) the package is 2mb big, and
> > arch: all, so it would not represent a too heavy load.
> >
> > Package4s needing it can just build-depend on it, and the source are in :
> > /usr/lib/ocaml/source. If needed i can change this directory to something more
> > appropriate (source/ocaml-3.04 would also be good).
> >
> > That said, it is not possible to build the sources onplace, since the files
> > are mode 644, and anyway people should not build things in debian private
> > place. I don't know how package depending on the ocaml source handles this
> > kind of things, but i think they should be changed so that they symlink these
> > files.
>
> Better place is /usr/src/ocaml that is usually writable by "src" group
> (also the ocaml source should be owned by that group).

Mmm, do you think it would be best ?

I looked a bit, and tetex puts its stuff into /usr/share/texmf/source and the
kernel goes into /usr/src. I had the impression that only the kernel specific
stuff is allowed to go into /usr/src.

> > Apart form that, i hope the .opt split is convenient for all and work as
> > planned, particularly the ocaml-best-compilers. I am a little anxious on how
>
> Please reply to previous mail so that we can clarify the
> ocaml-best-compilers usage.

If you are content with ocamlc and ocamlopt, just build depend on ocaml, if
you want to use ocamlc.opt and ocamlopt.opt if it is available, depend on
ocaml-best-compilers.