Re: packaging ocamldoc ?

On Mon, Jan 21, 2002 at 09:43:19AM -0500, Maxence Guesdon wrote:
> Regarding ocamldoc dependency on ocaml sources,
>
> ocamldoc needs some compiled files of the ocaml compiler, the ones
> which appear in the Makefile as OCAMLCMOFILES and OCAMLCMXFILES. Off
> course the equivalent .cmi files are needed during the compilation.
> Besides, they must be in the correct directories (ocaml/typing, ocaml/parsing, ...).

Mmm, i suppose you are speaking about the ocamldoc makefile here, Ralf could
you send me those list of files, so i can create the corresponding
ocaml-source package.

> Since ocamldoc should be added to the ocaml distribution when it's stable (which
> i hope won't be long), i think you can use some 'dirty tricks' to package this preversion
> of ocamldoc. But i don't know if these dirty tricks fit the debian policy :-)

Mmm, no i am not sure this is the right idea. Debian's woody freeze is
approaching, and i would much prefer to do it right from the begining, so we
have no problem later one, and all our stuff goes into the freeze.

Maxence, when do you plan to take ocamldoc out of the 'not stable' phase ? And
do you think when this happens, things will be different for the build process
and it will not depend on the ocaml source by then ?

Also, do you have any idea of what the politics are for the useage of ocaml
source for other projects ? I know there are other caml programs that have the
same problem, and there are a pain to package in debian. Maybe we should find
a common solution for all of those.

Friendly,

Sven Luther