Re: packaging ocamldoc ?

On Sun, Jan 20, 2002 at 06:46:04PM +0100, Ralf Treinen wrote:
> I just tried to build a package for ocamldoc
> (http://pauillac.inria.fr/~guesdon/Tools/ocamldoc/ocamldoc.htm).
> There is, however, a big problem: compiling ocamldoc requires
> access to the compiled sources of ocaml! Has anyone a good idea

:(((( Seem i need to split an ocaml-source package which you can build depend
upon (i suppose a build depend is enough, and you don't need a normal depend
?)

The other possibility would be to clearly identify the needed files, and build
a package (ocaml-build-help or something) with just the needed files.

> how this can be done in debian? I only see two possibilities which
> both look like trouble:
>
> - Building a joint source pacakge ocaml+ocamldoc such that the ocamldoc
>   package can be built at the same time as ocaml.

Not a nice idea.

> - Generating from the ocaml source package a new binary package which
>   contains exactly what is needed to compile ocmaldoc.

Yes, or like i said, build a full source package of ocaml. This would be the
easiest thing to do, since other packages also have this kind of problems. But
it may be overkill, since ocaml source is big, and most assuredly not all of
it is needed. We should take the problem to the caml-list, to get information
on this, or at least ask the caml team, or the oocamldoc upstream author ...

> None of them is satisfactory. Any ideas?

Complain to the upstream author that he cleans his source.

Well, better would be to ask him for advice instead of complaining :)))

Could you do that ?