Re: ocamlodbc packaging

On Mon, May 07, 2001 at 11:54:44AM +0200, Georges Mariano wrote:
> Ralf Treinen wrote:
>
> > No! ocamlweb is the upstream name, and hence is the name of the package.
>
> Well, I know why I do not agree with this sentence, this is just because
> I'm thinking about source package and I suppose that you're speaking
> about binary package.

I'm talking about binary and source package. The application is called
ocamlweb. Why on earth should I call the package anything other
than ocamlweb? This is the name that anyone will try first to locate
the package.

> > No !!!
> >
> Keep cool Ralph ...

I was just shouting back to the person who started to shout "Yes !!" ( don't
remember who it was).

> I just said that I like such (uniform) names, kind of personal taste...

Having names that reflect the name of the upstream package is the first
criterion for me, and IMHO this has always been current debian practice. BTW
the policy doesn't seem to say anything about this (someone correct
me please if I'm wrong).

> But for the choice of new names, things are opened to discussion (I
> think), after all there is a naming scheme for debian library packages
> (don't know if it is stated somewhere ...)

I couldn't find anything about this in the policy.

> So, why not ?? i.e it is not sufficient to say "no" to prevent people to
> **try** a naming scheme for **incoming** stuff. What I expect from you,
> since you have a more deeper understanding of the Debian policy, is
> something like "you can't do that because it is stated <somewhere> that
> you have to do things like the this...".

What I expect from you is that you explain to me why you want to bent
upstream names, a reason besides "pesonal taste" that is.

> OK, I would like to call a new package "ocaml-libplot" :
> 	- original name is "ocamlplot"
> 	I think it is confusing since it is more a binding (OCaml/GNU plot
> library) than a single binary (despite the fact that  it also provides a
> toplevel [if I remember well]
> 	- debian name is more informative (this is ocaml stuff, providing a
> *lib*rary for making *plot*s...

If you absolutely want to diverge from the upstream name then you
should at least choose a name that contains the upstream name,
such that people find it if they look for it. Like "lib-ocamlplot"
for example.

-Ralf.