Re: ocaml-tools depends on ocaml-3.01

On Sun, Apr 08, 2001 at 11:24:59AM -0700, Ian Zimmerman wrote:

> Sven> as we are pretty sure that ocaml bytecode will surely not be
> Sven> compatible with ocam l3.02.
>
> Why not?  I have many libraries compiled with 2.99 that work fine with

Because the virtual machine was upgraded, and the 3.00 bytecode is no longer
compatible with the 3.01 virtual machine. I am not sure, but i guess this is
also what will happen when 3.02 is released.

I may be wrong here, if so please proove it to me, and some few test show that
this may be the case. That said, i did also encounter one case where the
ocamlc complained with older libraries.

But then maybe you worry only about i386 native code, ...

In any icase it doesn't cost much to rebuild the libraries, especially as many
of them did see a new release together with 3.01, and woody is not yet
released.

> 3.00.  Just because 1 library (ocamldot) turns out to break, is it a
> reason to force _all_ ocaml related packages to be upgraded
> in lockstep:

You surely have a fast connection, so what do you complain about, just run a
apt-get upgrade in the background, and that's it.

> Sven> ocaml (>=3.01), ocaml (<<3.02)
>
> Like Georges, I don't like this.  We need the >= _for ocaml-tools_,
> and that's it.  Not for other libraries unless they really break,
> and nothing about 3.02 until it comes out and can be tested.

Well, but then _if_ the passage from 3.01 to 3.02 breaks the VM compatibility,
thing that may, or may not, happen, we have no way to enforce that the new
ocaml packagfe is not used with older (incompatible) libraries, or even
bytecode. And seeing that new ocaml releases are far between (well it is more
or less 1 year since the 3.00 release that 3.01 was released), this is not so
much of a cost. Allways keep the long term in mind.

> We can always add conflicts to the ocaml 3.02 package to force
> uninstallation of the breaking libraries.

So you would like me to add a _long_ list of conflicts to the ocaml package ?
a list which may grow as time pass ? And release a new ocaml package each time
that a new library appears, as to list it ?

This is not the way of least effort, don't you think ?