Re: splitting the ocaml package ???

On Fri, Mar 23, 2001 at 01:45:14PM +0100, Jean-Francois Monin wrote:
> I really don't see how ocaml and coq may depend on X (in the sense, I
> suppose, if Xfree). Except, maybe, for borderline things like emacs
> mode ? Then they should be considered separately. CamlTk in another
> story and is packaged separately I guess.
>
>   Jean-Francois Monin

Err, ...

you did not read the previous mails on this subject, did you ?

Frist there is no dependency between coq and X, coq depends on libc6, ocaml,
camlp4 and libncurses4, and suggests coq-doc, and that's it. All of this is
the bare minimum, except maybe libncurses4, but i don't know much about this.

Ocaml has more dependencies :

  libc6 -> unavoidable, isn't it.
  libncurses5 -> maybe coq should be rebuilt against
                 libncurses5 also, don't know though.
  xlibs -> this is for the graphics module.
  tcl8.3, tk8.3 -> this is for labltk.
  libncurses5-dev -> for the compiler stuff, maybe only ocamlmktop.

There are additional suggests on the -dev packages of xlibs, tcl and tk, don't
remember where they come from though.

So seing this, we could :

  * split of the labltk package. -> no more tcl/tk dependencies.
    -> ok, this was already discussed, and i will do it.

  * split of a runtime package. (dependeing only on libc6)

  * split of the graphics module, to get ride of the xlibs dependency.

This last, i don't think would be worth it, not sure though. It only depends
on xlibs, and who has it not installed on it's system ? But then maybe you are
still using obsolet versions of Xfree here, are you ?

Also notice that the dependency is against xlibs (>= 4.0.1-11). I think this
was the version where Branden made incompatible changes  with the previous
packages. I don't think that the ocaml package will need to be so strict, but
this is given by ${shlibs:Depends}, ans as such, better don't mess with it.
That said, unless Branden makes another such change to the Xfree packages, a
new install of ocaml will not need upgrading your xlibs.