Re: dbm library in OCaml-2.04-6

On Thu, Apr 06, 2000 at 10:30:31AM +0000, Georges MARIANO wrote:
> Claudio Sacerdoti Coen wrote:
> >
> >  Hello packagers
> >
> >  (or should I say hello Sven?),
> >
> >  should it be possible to "add" to the ocaml_2.04-6 package
> >  the standard library dbm? It's strange that the library is missing,
> >  but well documented (and, obviously, I need it!).
> >
> >  In order to compile the library the following patches (against the
> >   sources of the package) must be applied:
> >
> >   * configure/Makefile with the following line
> >
> >       OTHERLIBRARIES=unix str num dynlink systhreads graph dbm
> >                                                            ^^^
> >   * otherlibs/dbm/Makefile with the following line
> >
> >       CFLAGS=-I../../byterun -I/usr/include/db1 -O $(BYTECCCOMPOPTS)
> >                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >
> >   Is it possible? Is this the right place to ask?
>
> Hello, a few days ago,
> I had the same problem (but when installing ocaml-2.99),
> I asked "upstream" about this "bug", they answered it is
> a well known "bug" (altough bug is not the correct word),
> and that it is probably better to link /usr/lib/include/db1/ndbm.h
> to /usr/lib/include/ndbm.h...
> (this is what I've done... of course every things works after that...)

Well this is not ok, since it breaks debian way of handling stuff.

> I'm not sure that this is an upstream bug, the location include/db1
> is stange... may be there is a good reason ?? anyone ?

I guess it is so that various version of dbm will be installed at the same
time. Will fix this properly tomorrow.

> With respect to the "packaging problem", it is probably better
> to patch the configure script ??

Yes, modification of the configure script is needed, because at build time,
the package get configured. i will fix this, and forward the fix upstream.

BTW, 2.99 is packaged in woody as ocaml3 package, which is (for now)
incompatible with ocaml (2.04).

Friendly,

Sven LUTHER