More Wishes

Hola Daniel and list,
well, I'm new to the list, looking for more involvment in the project(!), I
think the goals are very important for the spreading of FLOSS (I'm focusing my
efforts towards Latin America, preferably non-profit), it seems I have the
great luck of some people interested/working on these topics here in the area of
New York City!

I'm not sure what is the latest level of activity, from Alioth doesn't look much
active lately, I'll check more and see if the wiki has been changing and maybe
start to throws some ideas there.

I considered Vector too, but, from my limited knowledge I think I would be more
confortable with a Debian based distribution.
Again, from my understanding, one of the most heavy component of most
distribution seems to be the GUI (KDE or GNOME) and in many of these
distributions (I looked the instructions for Mepis) it seems quite complex to
change it (this is not only about my laziness, I always think of the scenario
of trying to help a non tech person in another continent via email or phone).

Now that I have collected 2 or 3 old PCs at home I'm trying to install a
full Debian on one and then I'll try the NP (and/or others) on the olders
(like PI, PII), if I understood it correctly Debian NP comes already
with ACE WM.

I would love an easy installer, I'll look into the subject!

My idea (my wish) would be to have a graphical system by the end of the
"automatic" installation, a basic (but not minimal... I guess... one thing,
I'll try is to define better these levels) installation and decent standard
admin configuration. Then the possibility to create users with different skill
levels, so to give to a totally unexpert (or unauthorized) one just OpenOffice,
internet stuff and a bit more, one more advanced with db, GNUCash and more
similar packages (and more choices), etc...

Well, not point in going on and on until I try Debian NP, I'll post more once
I'll know more.

Ciao,

Gio

http://www.digitalright.org
Building ICT capacity against disparity!