Re: Debian-NP and CDD talk in Firenze

On Wed, Sep 29, 2004 at 06:07:24PM -0300, Otavio Salvador wrote:

> ma> I dont understand, Enrico was suggesting that debian-np-devel package
> ma> be created that includes:
> ma> . dependency on debpartial-mirror package
> ma> . dependency on CDD-tools package
> ma> . Debian-NP documentation
> ma>   \ Experiences
> ma>   \ Best practices
> ma>   \ Debian-NP development documentation
> ma>   \ Links to useful projects and contacts
> ma>   \ NGO experiences
> ma> What you and zufus are working on would replace debian-np-cdtool, this
> ma> is completely different.
> More or less because currently you will need to depend of
> debian-np-cdtool and this is far from finished. Another issue is
> current way to build CDs will change and most important, the way to
> customize the mirror.

Ok, so if the CD building way is going to change, we'll document it
later, ok? :)

In the meantime, we can still depend on cdd-dev, and explain how to
create metapackages, which is not bad.  Everyone will be able to create
metapackages, put them in an APT repository they want, and already get a
CDD with their package selection, but still without custom configuration.

That's a beginning, and not a bad one.

Then, as soon as some good and simple tool comes out among something
like:
 - Preseeding
 - D-i customization
 - <fill in the next generation CDD technology>
we pick it up, try it, and if it's simple and cool enough document it.

Then, we have the problem of what name to give to the package.
Options so far are: debian-np-{devel,doc,tools}.

If we consider that debian-np is "people helping other people in NPs in
making their own debian disto", then we're making some documentation for
developers.  We're not making tools yet, or if we make them, we package
them as something generic, I imagine.  So, it's about -doc.

Since the package will depend on the tools to create a CDD, it's not
something you want to be installed by default on any of the created
CDDs, while I *definitely* want to distribute links, experiences and
best practices in *any possible* distro that will go around.

So, we really want two packages.

So, how about:
  debian-np-doc
   - What is Debian-NP
   - Experiences
   - Best practices
   - Links to useful projects and contacts
   - NGO experiences
  debian-np-devel-doc
   - Debian-NP development documentation
   - How to make a CDD
   - Dependencies on needed tools

We can already put in something about metapackages, and we can start
figuring out ways of gathering best practices, experiences and links.

I don't know if some more discussion is needed.  I've created the two
packages in the repository, as:
 packages/debian-np-doc
 packages/debian-np-devel-doc

In both directories I've put a CONTENTS file with a summary of what we
thought could go in.  Now I'd say we should just start collecting
material and dumping it in.

Ciao,

Enrico