Re: what debian-np *should* do

On Mon, Sep 27, 2004 at 05:52:05PM -0700, Vagrant Cascadian wrote:
> > > making packages that are versioned identically to the official debian
> > > packages seems like a really bad idea- it can become very difficult to
> > > install some non-ubuntu package, since ubuntu only supports a sub-set of
> > > debian packages...

> > I'm not sure what other versioning scheme you would expect them to use.
> > Anyone maintaining packages outside of the Debian archive is going to
> > have to deal with the possibility of incompatibilites between their
> > packages and the Debian packages; Ubuntu is just being up front about
> > this fact.

> what i've read regarding backported packages suggests altering the
> version of the package name, so that it's clear where the package came
> from.  for example:

> foo might be versioned as 1.9.3-3 in official debian, and ubuntu's
> modified version might be version 1.9.3-3.ubuntu.0 or something like
> that.

> it's not flawless(foo 1.9.3-3.1 might update and override
> ubuntu-specific stuff), but at least you can tell what's what.

> might be a pain if they have to do that with *lots* of packages.  i
> don't have any idea how many they're building on their own.  but it
> makes it much easier to actually determine what is ubuntu and what is
> official debian, and easier to maintain compatibility.

It does give you a clearer indication of the source of any individual
package, but what it doesn't give you is any sort of automated approach
to compatibly merging packages from the two sources: even if version
numbers are distinguished, they'll still be interleaved when sorting,
which means any package declaring a versioned relationship
(depends/conflicts) with a package that has both a Debian and an Ubuntu
fork will not be able to rely on that version number meaning what they
think it means in a mixed package environment.

So, using distinguishing version numbers seems to make sense, but the
benefits for someone releasing a complete Debian-based distro where
they've touched every package may not actually be worth the effort, so
it's not something I'm too concerned about.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer