Re: what debian-np *should* do

On Mon, Sep 27, 2004 at 01:34:49PM -0700, Vagrant Cascadian wrote:
> > I was thinking about the point of Debian-NP. Now that Sarge has a pretty
> > nice and easy installer and there's Ubuntu Linux is there any point of
> > building a custom Debian-NP distro?

> while sarge's installer is definitely much improved, i still wouldn't
> hand your average person working (paid or otherwise) at a non-profit an
> official debian cd and tell them to wing it.  i'd like to be able to do
> that with debian-np.  and sarge's new installer includes some
> customizations that will make it much easier for us to do that :)

> ubuntu linux definitely has some ugly compatibility issues with debian
> proper, according to their FAQ:

> http://www.ubuntulinux.org/support/documentation/faq/helpcenterfaq.2004-09-15.7453904394

> making packages that are versioned identically to the official debian
> packages seems like a really bad idea- it can become very difficult to
> install some non-ubuntu package, since ubuntu only supports a sub-set of
> debian packages...

I'm not sure what other versioning scheme you would expect them to use.
Anyone maintaining packages outside of the Debian archive is going to
have to deal with the possibility of incompatibilites between their
packages and the Debian packages; Ubuntu is just being up front about
this fact.

> i would like for debian-np to be fully debian-compatible, and that
> doesn't seem to be a commitment for ubuntu.

Indeed, Ubuntu's goal seems to be maximal compatibilty with Debian, but
not necessarily full compatibility.  For full compatibility, it's clear
that debian-np will need to draw its packages directly from the Debian
archive.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer