Re: What's up?

On Tuesday 03 February 2004 01:50 pm, Darryl Caldwell wrote:
> The list has been fairly quiet. What have you all been doing to further
> awareness of Free Software to the NGO/NFP masses?

Work on my project, InfoCentral, is still progressing.  It has been a little
slow over the last few months, but I expect faster progress in the near
future.  I have decided to overhaul the code to use the GNU Enterprise
application server instead of talking directly to the database backend.
Java/J2EE was also considered but ruled out due to the learning curve /
administrative overhead / problematic Sun licensing.  I would describe GNUe
as a "KISS" alternative to J2EE. (not to mention completely Free)  It should
be noted that GNUe is largely stagnant right now and needs some development
help before it can become truly useful.  I'm currently investigating their
code closer and learning Python in preparation to help out.

> On my end, the Calendula fundraising system moves forward. I've been
> networking with some folks to fine tune the REQs and have rethought
> through my initial design plans. I will have a PNG of the system
> workflow up for public consumption soon.

If you have not already, I strongly encourage you to consider the "enterprise
application server" route.  2-tier monolithic web apps written in
PHP/Perl/etc. are a dead end when it comes to business-type software.  Don't
make the same mistake that I did.  ):  btw, one of the great things about
GNUe is that it provides a means for many "business apps" to be written and
integrated around the same model.  So, for instance, I won't have to write
accounting features for InfoCentral because that's somebody else's GNUe
project / component.  Similarly, you could write Calendula as a GNUe
fundraising sub-project rather than a standalone piece of software that is
far more difficult to integrate.

Chris Gebhardt
InfoCentral project leader
www.infocentral.org