Re: Introduction

One thing that relative newcomers should know is that after a month or
so, we switched lists from a list I was running on my personal server
to a debian.org list when this became an official Debian project. The
old list archives are here:

  http://lists.yukidoke.org/pipermail/debian-np/

On Tue, Oct 21, 2003 at 06:30:20PM -0500, Scott Burchill wrote:
> Benj. Mako Hill wrote:
> >Many people on this list, myself included, think that this sort of
> >application is *the* killer app for desktop GNU/Linux in
> >non-profits. The proprietary equivalent is, of course, ebase which,
> >while newly free, has extremely non-free (in every sense of the word)
> >dependencies on filemaker.
>
> Okay, this is so right on track. I understand that ebase is currently
> looking for open source tools to port the next generation to. I suggest
> that we support this in any way possible. ebase developers, are you
> listening? We're here for you.

Groundspring (the organization behind Ebase) hs participated on this
list in the past. Clif Graves said:

  As we try to move ebase into the truly opensource arena, one of the
  things that I am very aware of is that most non-profits have no
  functioning IT support. Porting ebase to a fully open source
  platform that a 'geek' can install and use is easy compared to the
  task making it available to any non-profit. This is where the idea
  of a Distro that includes non-profit tools has so much appeal, it
  could reduce the installer / perceived usability dilemma greatly.[1]

I'm strongly of the belief that as every organizations approaches
something like fund-raising or membership management differently, there
is room for more than one solution. Postgres is great but sometimes
BBDB and a flat file is all I need or want. While Ebase is great for a
lot of organizations, others are happier with something smaller and
more lightweight like Organizers' Collaborative's ODB (like Ebase it is
free software and tied to proprietary software -- Windows and VB and
Access libraries in its case).

I think that Debian-NP, like Debian, can support every tool that
people use and care enough about to package, document, and
distribute. Through this sort of sort of selection process and through
natural selection, we'll probably get one or two that most people
use and that, as a result, are better supported and documented.

Regards,
Mako

[1] http://lists.yukidoke.org/pipermail/debian-np/2003-July/000050.html

--