Re: [Debian-NP] Morphix

> Trying to port Knopper's work each time is pretty error-prone, he's got
> the experience when it comes to hardware detection. We keep playing
> cat-and-mouse with eachother, but eventually all changes in knoppix flow
> into morphix. Recently patches are being sent, which really reduces the
> amount of time it takes...

I can easily imagine the amount of work requested :-)))

> > I imagine a web front-end helping users build their custom ISO images and
> > letting them download the final ISO ready-to-burn perfectly suited to
> > their needs.
> >
> > This work could be shared with other projects developing "vertical"
> > version of
> > debian.
> >
> > Moreover a module-based distribution could simplify to a large extent the
> > management of the project.
>
> Indeed, I've been thinking about this from day one. However, your
> suggestion that the creation of iso's would have to be done server-side,
> which, alas, doesn't scale with the increase of modules (the current 7
> mainmodules can have up to 4 different minimodules, will be expanded to 255
> soon, of the available 16 minimodules, euhm, that are quite lot of
> different iso's. Did calculate once how much space a worst-case scenario
> would take up, and it wasn't pretty :)

Actually I thought of a system building only the specific ISO on request
leaving the generated image available for download on the server for 6-12
hour before deleting it.

My fear is that the client-side version could request too much experience with
Linux to the user.

Anyway I'm at your disposition for some beta-testing of the client-side
version, please let me know when you have something working,

Bye

Gianluca