Re: [Debian-NP] What's the big idea?

> > Also reusing old equipment, keeping the memory usage trim would be a good
> > idea: iceWM.
>
> This one has been sounded a number of times, and I put it on the wiki
> and probably will stay there as a design requirement, unless someone
> can talk us out of it.

Well, I'd like to give it a shot :)
Morphix LightGUI started out with icewm, and it worked pretty well. However,
when it comes to usability and flexibility I prefer XFCE4 over icewm myself,
which the module is using as of a few months ago. The third idea was to use rox.
Very nice design, but I'm afraid they're way out of their league on some areas
(odd packagemanagement built-in, not packageable save for the rox-filer afaik).
The forth was to use xpde, but i've heard it's pretty slow, even on heavier
equipment.

Pro's of icewm:
- light
- familiar interface
- quite flexible via conf-files
- it's just a windowmanager, no extra fluff

Pro's of xfce4:
- still light (tad slower though)
- more task-orientated interface (both advantage and disadvantage)
- easier to modify, has a settings-panel included
- being actively worked on. Printing is being added, for example, and the
project is moving fast
- nice filemanager (well, atleast it has one)

All in all, I fell in love with xfce4. Some people are still lobbying to get
icewm back in the LightGUI module, but other people thank me for the change.
Both have advantages (and disadvantages), but imo looking at other options isn't
a bad idea. At least, make sure you know what you are choosing :)

Just my 2 euro cents,
Alex

                 /'-'\
                ( o o )