Debian Weekly News - December 6th, 2005
Debian Weekly News
Debian Weekly News - December 6th, 2005
Welcome to this year's 49th issue of DWN, the weekly newsletter for
the Debian community. Roland Stigge planned to file bugs against
packages that provide no pristine source package, but are not native
Debian packages either. Andreas Barth announced that the LDAP
gateway to the bug tracking system has been moved to a new host
with a configurable address.
General Resolution: Opening the Archive. Manoj Srivastava
announced the discussion period for the general resolution about
the Declassification of debian-private list archives. Anthony
Towns has proposed this resolution in accordance with principles of
openness and transparency to declassify and publish posts of
historical or ongoing significance made to the private mailing list.
Final Debian Conference 5 Report. Fabian Fagerholm announced the
final report about this year's Debian Conference in Helsinki.
The document is intended for those who attended the conference and the
general public. It includes impressions and facts from the conference.
A more detailed financial report will be available later.
Temporary Directories per User? Noah Meyerhans reported about a
discussion within the security team to push the use of per-user
temporary directories as default. With proper code this is only a
question of an adjusted PAM configuration. However, some programs
hardcode the /tmp directory.
C++ Transition Status Update. Nathanael Nerode reported about the
transition of C++ libraries due to the use of a different memory
allocator in the standard C++ library. Two libraries are still linked
to an older library version and can be ignored, five packages
still need to be transitioned regularly, five other packages
haven't been built on all architectures yet and a large number of
libraries still need to be transitioned.
Device Nodes with udev. Miles Bader noticed that several old-style
device nodes were created after booting a Debian kernel with udev
also installed. Marco d'Itri explained that they result from the
kernel configuration. However their creation can easily be prevented
with a proper configuration file for udev.
New Kernel Package. Manoj Srivastava announced new features in the
new kernel-package package which has undergone a major
restructuring. Ramdisk generation has been improved and can now be
controlled via a configuration variable. The kernel image maintainer
scripts now use debconf and the post-installation script has
become less verbose by that.
Determining the intended Debian Version. Christopher Crammond
wondered if there is a way to determine which version of Debian a
given package belongs to. Marc Brockschmidt explained that almost
all packages in stable have been uploaded to unstable before, were
migrated to testing and then were released as stable.
Dropping Kerberos 4 Packages? Andreas Barth noticed that the
krb4 packages accumulate several release-critical bugs that are
difficult to fix and that their upstream doesn't seem to be active
anymore. Russ Allbery added that MIT Kerberos is also going to
drop Kerberos v4 support as of May of 2006.
Dropping Support for GCC 2.95? Thiemo Seufer wondered how many
users GCC 2.95 still has. Since only 9 packages declare build
dependencies on it, he proposed to remove this compiler version from
etch before its release.
Security Updates. You know the drill. Please make sure that you update
your systems if you have any of these packages installed.
* DSA 912: centericq -- Denial of service.
* DSA 913: gdk-pixbuf -- Several vulnerabilities.
* DSA 914: horde2 -- Cross-site scripting.
* DSA 915: helix-player -- Arbitrary code execution.
New or Noteworthy Packages. The following packages were added to the
unstable Debian archive recently or contain important updates.
* culmus-fancy -- Type1 Fancy Hebrew Fonts for X11.
* eclipse -- Extensible Tool Platform and Java IDE.
* gdhcpd -- GTK+ configuration tool for dhcpd3-server.
* gproftpd -- GTK+ configuration tool for proftpd.
* irmp3 -- Multimedia Audio Jukebox application.
* kalgebra -- Calculator based on the MathML language.
* linuxdcpp -- Linux port of the famous dc++ client.
* mazeofgalious -- Maze of Galious.
* remctl-client -- Client for Kerberos-authenticated command
* remctl-server -- Server for Kerberos-authenticated command
* uim-qt -- Qt 4.x immodule for uim.
Orphaned Packages. 4 packages were orphaned this week and require a
new maintainer. This makes a total of 192 orphaned packages. Many
thanks to the previous maintainers who contributed to the Free
Software community. Please see the WNPP pages for the full list,
and please add a note to the bug report and retitle it to ITA: if you
plan to take over a package.
* cpbk -- Mirroring utility for backing up your files.
* elvis -- Powerful clone of the vi/ex text editor.
* procmeter -- X based system status monitor, older version.
* qps -- Qt based process status. (Bug#341907)
Removed Packages. 24 packages have been removed from the Debian
archive during the past week:
* macrosystem -- Text file template system for C++
Bug#263871: Request of QA, orphaned, RC bug, no upstream
* regexx -- C++ wrapper to the GNU regex functions
Bug#263873: Request of QA, orphaned, RC bug, no upstream
* zope-callprofiler -- Profile your Zope website
Bug#310675: Request of maintainer, outdated, not many users
* zope-cmfpgforum -- CMFpgForum is a CMF forum that uses a
Bug#310676: Request of maintainer, outdated, not many users
* zope-dtmlcalendar -- Calendar DTML Tag - Zope
Bug#310677: Request of maintainer, outdated, not many users
* zope-kinterbasdbda -- Zope Database Adapter for Interbase/Firebird
Bug#310680: Request of maintainer, outdated, not many users
* zope-lockablefolder -- Variant of the standard Folder that can
restrict access to its contents
Bug#310681: Request of maintainer, outdated, not many users
* zope-cmfldap -- Zope CMF LDAP membership management tools
Bug#312854: Request of maintainer, outdated, not many users
* zope-ldapuserfolder -- Zope LDAP user folder
Bug#312855: Request of maintainer, outdated, not many users
* zope-cmfworkflow -- Zope CMF workflow module
Bug#312856: Request of maintainer, outdated, not many users
* zope-parsedxml -- ParsedXML Zope Product
Bug#312857: Request of maintainer, outdated, not many users
* zope-emarket -- Simple e-commerce system for Zope
Bug#312858: Request of maintainer, outdated, not many users
* zope-ldap -- Driver for connecting Zope with LDAP system
Bug#312860: Request of maintainer, outdated, not many users
* zope-cmf -- Zope Content Management Framework (CMF)
Bug#312861: Request of maintainer, outdated, not many users
* zope-znavigator -- Zope product for creating navigation bars
Bug#312862: Request of maintainer, outdated, not many users
* zope-xmlmethods -- XMLMethods Zope Product
Bug#312863: Request of maintainer, outdated, not many users
* zopectl -- Zope instances controlling utility
Bug#312865: Request of maintainer, outdated, not many users
* zope-mysqlda -- Zope Database Adapter for MySQL
Bug#312877: Request of maintainer, outdated, not many users
* xlander -- Lunar landing simulation for X
Bug#327672: Request of QA, orphaned, unplayable
* kernel-patch-2.4.19-arm -- Diffs to the Linux kernel source 2.4.19
Bug#340281: Request of maintainer, obsolete
* zodb3.4 -- set of tools for using the Zope Object Database (ZODB)
Bug#340617: Request of maintainer, superseded by zodb
* zope2.7-archetypes -- framework for developing and deploying new
Bug#340618: Request of maintainer, superseded by
* automake1.6 -- Tool for generating GNU Standards-compliant
Bug#340921: Request of maintainer, superseded by
* hitop -- High-level website description language
Bug#340700: Request of maintainer, old, unmaintained upstream
Want to continue reading DWN? Please help us create this newsletter.
We still need more volunteer writers who watch the Debian community
and report about what is going on. Please see the contributing
page to find out how to help. We're looking forward to receiving your
mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.