Determining a .deb's intended Debian Version

Hello:

I was wondering if someone could provide me with some additional
information related to Debian packaging.  Specifically, I would like to
know if there is a way to determine which version of Debian that a
package belongs to?

For instance, the control file of the dpkg_1.10.28_i386.deb file looks
like this:

Package: dpkg
Version: 1.10.28
Section: base
Architecture: i386
Essential: yes
Pre-Depends: dselect, libc6 (>= 2.3.2.ds1-21)
Conflicts: sysvinit (<< 2.82-1), dpkg-iasearch (<< 0.11), dpkg-static, dpkg-dev (<< 1.10)
Replaces: dpkg-doc-ja, dpkg-static, manpages-de (<= 0.4-3)
Installed-Size: 5636
Origin: debian
Maintainer: Dpkg Development <debian-dpkg@lists.debian.org>
Bugs: debbugs://bugs.debian.org
 This package contains the programs which handle the installation and
 removal of packages on your system.
 .
 The primary interface for the dpkg suite is the `dselect' program;
 a more low-level and less user-friendly interface is available in
 the form of the `dpkg' command.
 .
 In order to unpack and build Debian source packages you will need to
 install the developers' package `dpkg-dev' as well as this one.

I can see that the origin is indeed Debian; however, is there anyway to
determine which version of Debian this is targeted for (ie. 3.0, 3.1,
etc...)?

As a comparison, RPM offers an optional field for Distribution.  While
not required, most packages to fill in this field and it provides of
means of determine the intended flavor of Linux.

Thank-you,
-- christopher

--
Christopher Crammond, Software Engineer