Re: Tong Sun: Advocate

On Thursday, January 21 2021, Tong Sun wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 20, 2021 at 11:08 PM Sergio Durigan Junior
> <sergiodj@debian.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Sunday, January 17 2021, Utkarsh Gupta wrote:
>>
>> > For nm.debian.org, at 2021-01-17:
>> > I support Tong Sun <suntong001@users.sourceforge.net>'s request to become Debian Developer, uploading.
>> > I have worked with Tong Sun on a couple of golang packages for a couple of months now and I would
>> > like him to be able to upload packages on his own.
>>
>> Hi Utkarsh, Tong,
>>
>> It seems to me, judging from outside (and without having actually seeing
>> the work you've done) that you don't have too much experience working
>> together.  This can be problematic, especially if the work was done in
>> private and in the context of a team collaboration, for example.
>
> Thanks for the positive criticism. May I know what is the problem
> with/when the work was done in private please? And also what would the
> problem be in the context of a team collaboration. That indeed has
> been the case for most/all of the go packages that I worked with
> Utkarsh.

Sure.  I see no problem working in private with a DD; I myself work with
two other contributors who come to me in private asking for sponsorship.
But I think that when you do that, you have to spend more time with the
person in order to get to know him/her better.  Working in public has
the benefit that other people will see what you and your sponsor are
doing/discussing, and will be able to chime in if needed.  I would not
feel comfortable advocating for someone who worked with me in private
and on a couple of packages only.

As for the team collaboration, it may be more of a personal thing, but
if I am advocating for someone to become a DD I like to see that he/she
has the ability to work on a variety of packages.  Working only with
team-sponsored packages (and again, just a couple of packages, as
mentioned by Utkarsh) does not reassure me that the person is fit to
have access to the whole archive.  But I understand that this is a
personal view on the process.

Thank you,

--
Sergio
GPG key ID: 237A 54B1 0287 28BF 00EF  31F4 D0EB 7628 65FC 5E36