Re: DM application of Michele Cane

Hi there!

This is my advocacy for Michele Cane <michele.cane@gmail.com>.  Please
Cc: me on replies, I am not subscribed to the list.

On Mon, 19 Aug 2013 13:59:28 +0200, Michele Cane wrote:
> http://wiki.debian.org/DebianMaintainer.
> I have read the Social Contract, Debian Free Software Guidelines and
> Debian Machine Usage Policy and agree with all of them.
> Currently, I maintain the package zotero-standalone-build
> and I am helping the X Strike Force.
> My GnuPG key 1C9B1AE5 is signed by the Debian Developer Luca Capello.

I got in contact with Michele while working on the Debian servers in the
neurobiology laboratory where he is doing his PhD thesis.  Different
things led to grow our relationship, not only about IT, but also about
biology (FWIW I have a PhD in biology) and RL.

At some point, Michele decided to become more involved with Debian, at
least in two ways: he joined debian.ch and the DebConf13 local team (at
the point of being the president of the latter) and he started to
package Zotero-related software while writing his PhD thesis (I am his
sponsor for such packages).  Later on, the fact that his laptop had
problems with the NVIDIA Optimus drivers got him in contact with the
X.Org world, thus going outside the Debian community.

Michele has a good knowledge of the Debian world and his packaging
efforts were always done with a learning spirit: he is willing to
have/ask inputs from others (not only from me), which shows his
cooperative behavior.  He quickly learned how to use the BTS and how to
build packages (starting from an upstream Git repository with the
appropriate Debian work-flow based on git-buildpackage).

I thus strongly support his application, he has a clear understanding of
the Debian universe, especially after having met more people at
DebConf13.

Thx, bye,
Gismo / Luca