AM report for Paul Mathijs Gevers

I recommend to accept Paul Mathijs Gevers as a Debian Developer.

1. Identification & Account Data
--------------------------------
   First name:      Paul
   Middle name:     Mathijs
   Last name:       Gevers
   Key fingerprint: 5F8293EE5207FE0C526D4A971CD52D7BAAFE086A
   Account:         elbrus

2. Background
-------------

   I am Paul Gevers from the Netherlands. I am Development Engineer at
   ASML. I studied Applied Physics at the Eindhoven University of
   Technology. During my study together with a friend I set up a server for
   the Dutch Student Alpine Club, which is running Debian. The aim of the
   server is to use commonality between the different Student Alpine Clubs
   (each university has at least one). Therefor I developed quite some
   specific solutions, like integration between the web-interface for
   sharing photo's and webdav/Apache upload facilities. The website
   platform was Zope. The later package has had some difficulties in
   Debian, that is how I got involved into fixing packages. First for our
   server and then I thought why not contribute to the world, instead of
   only to climbing students.

   As I was doing my work on the University in LaTeX, I figured the wnpp
   bug about MiKTeX [3], a package manager for LaTeX, was an interesting
   goal for me. Unfortunately, that was not a very clever choice, as it
   does not scale very well with Debian packages, and as it contained
   several changed convenience copies and encompassed several libraries.

   So I moved on. I think this is the time that I found the Winff [4]. I
   packaged that and got it successfully into Debian. Some small initial
   bugs, but otherwise pretty nice going. Because of my work, I also got
   commit rights upstream. When Winff was quiet, I started looking around
   for something new and decided that I wanted to do some QA instead of
   introducing new packages. That is when I found that Nedit was orphaned.
   Although I am an emacs user myself, I decided that I could do some work
   on Nedit.

   The main thing I found out in that time was that most Nedit bugs in
   Debian and Ubuntu were due to lesstif. As that was not getting any
   attention but has a high popcon, I decided to give that some love [5].
   This was a huge project, which led me via difficult discussions about
   removal or improvement of lesstif in Debian, cooperation with the Fedora
   maintainer of lesstif and commit rights to upstreams repository for a
   fresh point release to an update of lesstif in Debian. Since the update,
   hardly any unknown bug has surfaced, although I found out that lesstif
   still needs someone to work on it (but I am no programmer) [6].

   Then there was a request for help on the dutch Debian list of a blind
   person that wanted to listen to talking books [7] on a Linux system. I
   decided to help looking how to get it done. Together we found
   daisy-player, also written by a blind person. I got it packaged to
   satisfaction of the original user and finally got it into Debian. In the
   process I really had to help upstream to get his code into shape.

   As to why I do this? I don't really know, but I want the world to be a
   better place and I don't like the commercial side of it. I believe that
   Linux distributions should be such an ease for end-users to install and
   use. Although I really don't like the vendor-locked-in Apple things,
   they seem to be able to create a proper user experience. I think that
   Ubuntu, build on top of Debian, has made some interesting progress with
   respect to getting users to use Linux, although I am no fan of Gnome (or
   their follow-up Unity).

   My goal with Debian is to improve this great distribution. Do my small
   contribution where I can, e.g. I recently became member of the cacti
   maintainer team.

   That is it for now.

   [1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Elbrus
   [2] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Elbrus/PerPackageUploaderApplication
   [3] http://bugs.debian.org/481606
   [4] http://bugs.debian.org/485481
   [5] http://bugs.debian.org/522157
   [6] http://bugs.debian.org/551853
   [7] http://lists.debian.org/debian-user-dutch/2010/07/msg00006.html

C++ GNU/Linux developer, Debian Developer