Re: negative vote for maintainer Michael Gilbert

On Wed, January 4, 2012 17:07, Sergiusz Pawlowicz wrote:
> In Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 15:29, Ana Guerrero <ana@debian.org> wrote:
>
>> Debian is made for volunteers and sometimes people do not have time for
>> their packages or for answering all the bugs in the Bug Tracking System.
>> This does not make people automatically bad maintainers.
>
> I do second Emil, if you do not have time for three months, you just
> should not be a maintainer. You can participate to Debian in other
> ways, according to your spare time.
>
> It is simple like that.

As is common when people use this phrase, it's not actually as simple as
that.

Most parts of Debian have a very open development model where anyone, or
at least all other DD's, can jump in where help is needed. This bug is in
Debian's fully public BTS where everyone, DD or not, can add information
or patches and track the progress. The listed maintainer has hardly a
monopoly, even on uploading the package. Regardless of how active Michael
is, anyone who did have the time has had all opportunity to post their
patch. To make it even more obvious that Michael would appreciate such
help, he's tagged the bug 'help'.

If Michael would have stepped down as the maintainer of xpdf, which I
think is what you're suggesting, do you think that a patch would suddenly
appear in the bug log because of that fact?

Complaining that a volunteer is not fixing the bug that bothers you, helps
exactly nothing to resolve the bug. The only constructive contribution
here is to help the bug get fixed. Anyone can already do that, right now,
regardless of who is the listed maintainer.

Thijs