Re: DM application of Aleksey Kravchenko

Hi Aleksey et al.,

On Tue, Oct 04, 2011 at 01:17:02AM +0700, Aleksey Kravchenko wrote:
> <URL:http://wiki.debian.org/DebianMaintainer>.
>
> I have read the Social Contract, Debian Free Software Guidelines and
> Debian Machine Usage Policy and agree with all of them.
>
> Currently, I maintain the package rhash (which generates 10 binary
> packages, including LibRHash bindings for Java/Perl/Python/Ruby).

Just to introduce myself, I've been sponsoring rhash for the past uploads
and worked with Aleksey quite closely to get it into the current shape.

> My GnuPG key E37363AE (fingerprint 2875 F6B1 C2D2 7A4F 0C8A F60B 2A71
> 4497 E373 63AE) is signed by the Debian Developer Mikhail Gusarov.
>
> I look forward to becoming a Debian Maintainer. Thanks for your attention.

Seconded. I'd welcome this request being positively answered by the DAM.

I am sure that Aleksey Kravchenko has the technical skills needed to
maintain Debian packages. I support his application to become a Debian
maintainer, because he has put large efforts into making the code (both his
upstream code and the Debian packaging part) of rhash both elegant and
effective and thus very readable for a sponsor. Updates are well documented
and easy to grasp from reviewing the debdiff. It's one of the few packets
that regularly suceed my review on the first upload (only some of the larger
changes introducing the new python/perl/java bindings needed some more back
and forth discussion about what would be the best way to package it - as
would have with any DD as large updates to a package never come in a single
commit).

It's always a pleasure to work with him as he very positively and openly
accepts feedback about required changes and mostly puts them straight into a
competently crafted version of what you proposed to him. Mostly even
exceeding the expecations of what you intended to tell him. New technologies
he will read into very quickly and come up with the correct implementation.
He also has a profound understanding of the DFSG and its implications which
we talked about quite a bit concerning the OpenSSL relation of his code.

His English (at least the written form I've encountered so far) is very
fluent and legible and therefore it's a pleasure to communicate with him on
and off topic.

If there's anything else the NM frontdesk would like to read about my
experiences working with him feel free to ask.

As said, it'd be an enrichment for the Debian project to have Aleksey
aboard.

--
Cheers,
Kilian