AM report for algernon

1. Identification & Account Data
--------------------------------
   First name:      Gergely
   Last name:       Nagy
   Key fingerprint: 10E6 5DC0 45EA BEFC C519  3A26 AC1E 90BA C433 F68F
   Account:         algernon
   Forward email:   algernon@madhouse-project.org

   ID check passed, key signed by 14 existing developers:

   Output from keycheck.sh:

> gpg: requesting key C433F68F from hkp server keys.gnupg.net
> pub   4096R/C433F68F 2010-09-29
>       Key fingerprint = 10E6 5DC0 45EA BEFC C519  3A26 AC1E 90BA C433 F68F
> uid                  Gergely Nagy <algernon@madhouse-project.org>
> sig!         69C0FA93 2011-03-23  Tamas SZERB <toma@debian.org>
> sig!         33FC40A4 2011-05-11  A Mennucc1 <mennucc1@debian.org>
> sig!         A51A4FDD 2011-05-14  Laszlo Boszormenyi (GCS) <gcs@debian.org>
> sig!         2B0920C0 2011-06-04  Loïc Minier (lool) <lool@dooz.org>
> sig!         DD079461 2011-08-22  Gerfried Fuchs <rhonda@debian.org>
> sig!         C1A00121 2010-10-01  Jonas Smedegaard <dr@jones.dk>
> sig!         01AA4A64 2011-05-11  Steve Langasek <steve.langasek@canonical.com>
> sig!         8AEA8FEE 2011-07-26  Stephen Gran <steve@lobefin.net>
> sig!         6D866396 2011-07-28  Stefano Zacchiroli <zack@upsilon.cc>
> sig!         8649AA06 2011-08-01  gregor herrmann <gregor.herrmann@comodo.priv.at>
> sig!         CD92D072 2011-05-18  Stefano Rivera <stefano@rivera.za.net>
> sig!         E397832F 2011-09-18  Luca Capello <luca@pca.it>
> sig!1        0ED6122A 2011-07-28  Serafeim Zanikolas <sez@debian.org>
> sig!3        D9AB457E 2011-08-15  Giovanni Mascellani <mascellani@poisson.phc.unipi.it>
> sig!3        C433F68F 2010-09-29  Gergely Nagy <algernon@madhouse-project.org>
> sig!3        C433F68F 2011-01-13  Gergely Nagy <algernon@madhouse-project.org>
> uid                  Gergely Nagy <algernon@bonehunter.rulez.org>
> sig!         69C0FA93 2011-03-23  Tamas SZERB <toma@debian.org>
> sig!         33FC40A4 2011-05-11  A Mennucc1 <mennucc1@debian.org>
> sig!         A51A4FDD 2011-05-14  Laszlo Boszormenyi (GCS) <gcs@debian.org>
> sig!         2B0920C0 2011-06-04  Loïc Minier (lool) <lool@dooz.org>
> sig!         DD079461 2011-08-22  Gerfried Fuchs <rhonda@debian.org>
> sig-         C1A00121 2010-10-01  Jonas Smedegaard <dr@jones.dk>
> sig!         C1A00121 2010-10-01  Jonas Smedegaard <dr@jones.dk>
> sig!         01AA4A64 2011-05-11  Steve Langasek <steve.langasek@canonical.com>
> sig!         8AEA8FEE 2011-07-26  Stephen Gran <steve@lobefin.net>
> sig!         6D866396 2011-07-28  Stefano Zacchiroli <zack@upsilon.cc>
> sig-         CD92D072 2011-05-18  Stefano Rivera <stefano@rivera.za.net>
> sig!         CD92D072 2011-05-18  Stefano Rivera <stefano@rivera.za.net>
> sig!         E397832F 2011-09-18  Luca Capello <luca@pca.it>
> sig!1        0ED6122A 2011-07-28  Serafeim Zanikolas <sez@debian.org>
> sig!3        D9AB457E 2011-08-15  Giovanni Mascellani <mascellani@poisson.phc.unipi.it>
> sig!3        C433F68F 2010-09-29  Gergely Nagy <algernon@madhouse-project.org>
> sub   4096R/873A9B67 2010-09-29
> sig!         C433F68F 2010-09-29  Gergely Nagy <algernon@madhouse-project.org>
>
> 2 bad signatures
> 74 signatures not checked due to missing keys
> [...]

NB: He is a returning developer, previously removed via MIA.

2. Background
-------------
   Applicant writes:

> [...]
> compared to pascal).
>
> While learning Perl, I discovered that there's a whole world of source
> code out there, and that it is free software: I can look at it, change
> it, tweak it, reuse it, build on it! It was fascinating. But I didn't
> have the sources for my SuSE system, and obtaining them proved to be a
> bit difficult (I had no network at the time, and no money to pay for a
> source CD - I didn't have a CD-ROM reader, either).
>
> So I looked around to find something else, and found Debian. When I
> found it, slink was about to be released, so I waited for it, downloaded
> the installation disks (1.44Mb floppy disks!), and installed it. Not
> having YaST step on my toes was priceless. I immediately saw this was a
> system that works FOR me, that doesn't try to be smarter than me, yet,
> is still rock solid.
>
> I loved apt-get: even though I did not have an internet connection, I
> could get the list of packages I needed to install, go to school,
> download them from FTP one by one, take it home on floppy disks and
> install them.
>
> That's how I upgraded from slink to potato during the months potato was
> frozen. Broke my system in spectacular ways a couple of times, but it
> was a great feeling and an experience I'm proud of.
>
> At the same time, I started to look at other source codes, C code
> aswell, because I stumbled upon bugs I needed to fix. So I ended up
> learning C aswell, by beating code until it did what I wanted it to.
>
> In 1998, a friend of mine and myself won a competition to build the
> school website, and the server under it. He got the domain name, did all
> the boring people-tasks, and I was the techie doing the rest. I set up
> apache, wrote a webmail system in perl, a pop3d in C (the latter was one
> of my first publicly released and used free program, as far as I can
> remember).
>
> By september 2000, I was quite versed in this GNU/Linux thing, and so
> grateful for all the tools Debian allowed me to learn and use daily,
> that I ended up applying, and was accepted some two months later, after
> a 8-day mail exchange between myself and my AM (Martin Michlmayr).
>
> So, that's how I met GNU/Linux and Free Software in general, and the
> reason I want to volunteer my time is similar to what it was more than a
> decade ago: I received so much, that I feel obliged to give
> back. Contributing to the system I've been using each day for the past
> 13 years or so is the only way I can think of, to repay my debt. It's
> also a lot of fun, and something I can be proud of.
>
> Something I can tell my children in the years to come: look, daddy is
> part of this great thing called Debian! With a swirly logo, lots of
> strange people and fun little stuff like apt-get moo!
>
> I believe in Free Software, I saw how it makes people's lives better, it
> even landed me my dream job! The least I can do is to humbly contribute
> back what I've learned all through the years.

3. Philosophy and Procedures
-----------------------------
   algernon has a good understanding of Debian's philosophy and
   procedures and answered all my questions about the social contract,
   DFSG, BTS, etc. in a good way. algernon committed to uphold the SC
   and DFSG in his Debian work and accepts the DMUP.

4. Tasks and Skills
   algernon has a good understanding of the technical side of Debian.
   algernon is maintainer of dpatch, libmongo-client, git-flow.
   All packages are in good shape.
   algernon also answered my other questions regarding T&S without
   problems

   I recommend to accept algernon as a Debian Developer.

--
Luke Faraone;; Debian & Ubuntu Developer; Sugar Labs, Systems
lfaraone on irc.[freenode,oftc].net -- http://luke.faraone.cc