AM report for Antoine Beaupré

1. Identification & Account Data
--------------------------------
   First name:      Antoine
   Middle name:
   Last name:       Beaupré
   Key fingerprint: 8DC9 01CE 6414 6C04 8AD5  0FBB 7921 5252 7B75 921E
   Account:         anarcat
   Forward email:   anarcat@koumbit.org

   ID check passed, key signed by about 20 existing developers:

   Output from keycheck.sh:
pub   4096R/7B75921E 2009-05-29 [expires: 2013-05-30]
      Key fingerprint = 8DC9 01CE 6414 6C04 8AD5  0FBB 7921 5252 7B75 921E
uid                  Antoine Beaupré <anarcat@orangeseeds.org>
sig!3        7B75921E 2011-08-02  Antoine Beaupré <anarcat@orangeseeds.org>
uid                  Antoine Beaupré (work) <anarcat@koumbit.org>
sig!         2BE16D01 2010-08-14  Moray Allan <moray@sermisy.org>
sig!         8C7740AF 2011-02-23  Gaudenz Steinlin <gaudenz.steinlin@soziologie.ch>
sig!         A3D2357B 2011-07-13  Martin Bagge <brother@debian.org>
sig!         29C0FFEE 2010-08-07  Obey Arthur Liu <arthur@milliways.fr>
sig!         18E18F44 2010-08-09  Marco Túlio Gontijo e Silva <marcot@marcot.eti.br>
sig!         7A38B0B0 2010-08-13  Ludovico Cavedon <ludovico.cavedon@gmail.com>
sig!         76E2AC7B 2010-08-26  Hector Oron Martinez (zumbi) <hector.oron@gmail.com>
sig!         8FEB8EBF 2010-08-07  Andrew McMillan <andrew@morphoss.com>
sig!         4D6E25A8 2010-08-07  Christian Perrier <bubulle@kheops.frmug.org>
sig!         D3524C51 2010-08-07  Jonathan Wiltshire <jmw@debian.org>
sig!         B63480BE 2010-08-08  Kumar Appaiah <a.kumar@alumni.iitm.ac.in>
sig!         82004173 2010-08-08  Russ Allbery <rra@stanford.edu>
sig!         290DB9CE 2010-08-11  Varun Hiremath <varun@debian.org>
sig!         63E4E277 2010-08-11  Roberto C. Sanchez <sanchezr@ieee.org>
sig!         947897D8 2010-08-19  Anibal Monsalve Salazar <anibal@debian.org>
sig!         2861A790 2009-05-29  Micah Anderson <micah@riseup.net>
sig!         2AAAB140 2010-08-07  Hideki Yamane (Debian-JP) <henrich@debian.or.jp>
sig!         D21739E9 2010-08-07  Daniel Kahn Gillmor <dkg@fifthhorseman.net>
sig!         F4DFBE99 2010-08-08  Lucas Nussbaum <lucas@lucas-nussbaum.net>
sig!         40AD1FA6 2010-08-13  Nobuhiro Iwamatsu <iwamatsu@debian.org>
sig!         E397832F 2010-10-10  Luca Capello <luca@pca.it>
sig!2        0ED6122A 2010-09-21  Serafeim Zanikolas <sez@debian.org>
sig!3        7B75921E 2010-08-07  Antoine Beaupré <anarcat@orangeseeds.org>
sig!3        7B75921E 2010-05-30  Antoine Beaupré <anarcat@orangeseeds.org>
sig!3        7B75921E 2011-02-10  Antoine Beaupré <anarcat@orangeseeds.org>
sig!3        7B75921E 2011-05-31  Antoine Beaupré <anarcat@orangeseeds.org>
sig!3        7B75921E 2009-05-29  Antoine Beaupré <anarcat@orangeseeds.org>
uid                  Antoine Beaupré (home address) <anarcat@anarcat.ath.cx>
sig!         007C98D1 2010-08-02  Francois Marier <fmarier@gmail.com>
[...]
sub   4096R/9C5A5581 2009-05-29 [expires: 2013-05-30]
sig!         7B75921E 2011-05-31  Antoine Beaupré <anarcat@orangeseeds.org>

1 bad signature
58 signatures not checked due to missing keys
Key is OpenPGP version 4 or greater.
Key has 4096 bits.
Valid "e" flag, expires Thu 30 May 2013 15:20:25 NZST.
Valid "s" flag, expires Thu 30 May 2013 15:20:25 NZST.

2. Background
-------------
   Applicant writes:

Even though I have formal training as a software engineer, I consider myself
more like a general purpose computer scientist, qualified both in systems
administration and general programming skills. I am also a competent
community organiser, as I am the co-founder and major contributor to
Koumbit.org, a non-profit providing computing services to community groups
in Montreal for the last 7 years.

I have come to know free software through the FreeBSD project more than 10
years ago, while I was studying computer science at Université de
Montréal. I have made small contributions to the FreeBSD project for a
while: porting a few applications and contributing documentation and bug
reports. I was introduced to Linux by some friends who were surprised to see
me working "on the other side" while I had strong social and political
convictions.

That is how I have finally discovered the Debian project and its fascinating
democracy, and, around 8 years ago, I did my first install. I was thoroughly
impressed by the powerful APT packaging system (something which FreeBSD
still lacks). I have progressively switched to Debian since then, mostly
because of the ease of administration and dealing with upgrades. I still use
FreeBSD for routing as I consider its network stack to be vastly superior
and far more coherent for the administrator.

I have therefore already been devoting a significant amount of time to
opensource projects for quite a long time. In any project I participate in,
I dilligently file bug reports when I find problems or feature requests for
ideas I have to share, when I don't straight out fix the issues that affect
me or improve the software directly (and obviously contribute those
publicly). For me, it's just the way scientists work: we share our knowledge
and just grow our collective pool of knowledge better than if we were all
working separately (and therefore against each other). For me, this is not
"volunteering my time" as much as just a proper way of doing things.

To answer the question more directly, the reason I give away time to the
Debian project is because I'm just scratching an itch: I work on software I
am using and share this with the world. Debian is an infinite pool of "needs
work" things and I feel I would be in a better position to contribute by
being a DD. I also know a good few Debian users and contributors for which I
could be a sponsor and a guide in the Debian world.

First, I am a Debian Maintainer and so I can upload autonomously 3 different
packages: the gameclock, drush and tty-clock. I have also tested the
Debian/kFreeBSD port and contributed some bug reports there, while following
the mailing list. I have provided patches for the irssi-plugin-xmpp and mpd
packages and bug reports in numerous other packages.

Outside of Debian, I am one of the contributors to the "shared puppet
modules" effort of writing best practices for Puppet, a configuration
management engine. I have also written a significant number of Munin
plugins, wrote the gameclock (mentionned above), and I am the maintainer of
the stable branch of the upstream Drush project. I am one of the core
contributors to the Aegir project and I have contributed to over 20 open
source projects. I am also one of the agitators behind the Freedombox
project.

My primary interest in Debian is to maintain the packages I already have in
Debian and maintain the Aegir project in Debian as a complete control panel
and application provisionning suite. I also wish to be more closely involved
with the -security team as my work as a sysadmin at Koumbit requires me to
provide timely security upgrades and that work can be contributed back in
the Debian project more easily if I join the team. I am also interested in
the Debian community as a whole and wish to participate in the
decision-making process, both as a voter and discussions.

   Google says:

Lots of things about his numerous contributions to Drupal.

3. Philosophy and Procedures
-----------------------------
   Antoine has a good understanding of Debian's philosophy and procedures
   and answered all my questions about the social contract,
   DFSG, BTS, etc. in a good way. He committed to uphold the SC and DFSG
   in his Debian work and accepts the DMUP.

4. Tasks and Skills
   Antoine has a good understanding of the technical side of Debian.
   He is a DM and maintains drush, gameclock and tty-clock.
   All packages are in good shape.
   Antoine also answered my other questions regarding T&S without problems
   and provided patches or fixes for various small tasks.

   I wholeheartedly recommend to accept Antoine as a Debian Developer.

--
Francois Marier                         identi.ca/fmarier
http://feeding.cloud.geek.nz          twitter.com/fmarier