Re: When to update public key?

On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 11:16 PM, Jonathan McDowell <noodles@earth.li> wrote:
> On Thu, May 05, 2011 at 10:25:27PM -0400, Andres Mejia wrote:
>> This is an earlier message I sent but to the wrong mailing list.
>>
>> I want to update my outdated public key signed by one DD (it's a 1024D
>> key). I already have a new key (4096R key) signed by at least one
>> other DD (not the same DD). I've signed my new key with my old key.
>> Would this technically count as signatures from 2 DDs?
>
> No. The DDs sign different keys.
>
>> Also, I'm still in the NM process. Should I wait until I complete the
>> NM process or can I update my key now?
>
> keyring-maint prefer that either you replace the key before doing NM, or
> after it's complete and you're a DD, rather than as part of the process.
>
> (It's much easier to move an existing key from the DM keyring to the DD
> keyring than if we have to remove a key from the DM keyring and add a
> different one to the DD keyring.)
>
> J.
>
> --
>                                            xmpp:noodles@earth.li
> To understand recursion, we must first
>                                            understand recursion.

Thank you. I did have some concern that my NM application would be
rejected because of my old key. It is a 1024 bit key and it's only
signed by a single person. I saw that someone else had his application
rejected for what looks to be a reason which is similar to my
situation. See [1]. My new key however is 4096 bits and signed by
several people to include one DD. I had trouble convincing these same
people to sign my old key.

--
Regards,
Andres Mejia