AM report for Iain Lane

1. Identification & Account Data
--------------------------------
   First name:      Iain
   Last name:       Lane
   Key fingerprint: 3D0E FB95 E7B5 237F 16E8  2258 E352 D5C5 1C50 41D4 / 1C5041D4
   Account:         laney

   ID check passed, key signed by two existing developers:

   Output from keycheck.sh:

    pub   4096R/1C5041D4 2010-08-29 [expires: 2013-08-28]
          Key fingerprint = 3D0E FB95 E7B5 237F 16E8  2258 E352 D5C5 1C50 41D4
    uid                  Iain Lane <iain@orangesquash.org.uk>
    sig!         DDCD686A 2010-11-06  Donald Scott Kitterman <debian@kitterman.com>
    sig!3        26B47B9F 2010-10-25  Martin Pitt <martin@piware.de>
    sig!3        1C5041D4 2010-08-29  Iain Lane <iain@orangesquash.org.uk>
    uid                  Iain Lane <laney@ubuntu.com>
    uid                  Iain Lane <ial@cs.nott.ac.uk>
    uid                  Iain Lane <psxil@nottingham.ac.uk>
    sig!         DDCD686A 2010-11-06  Donald Scott Kitterman <debian@kitterman.com>
    sig!3        26B47B9F 2010-10-25  Martin Pitt <martin@piware.de>
    sig!3        1C5041D4 2010-08-29  Iain Lane <iain@orangesquash.org.uk>
    sub   4096R/8FB24134 2010-08-29 [expires: 2013-08-28]
    sig!         1C5041D4 2010-08-29  Iain Lane <iain@orangesquash.org.uk>

    Key is OpenPGP version 4 or greater.
    Key has 4096 bits.
    Valid "e" flag, expires Wed Aug 28 23:09:32 2013.
    Valid "s" flag, expires Wed Aug 28 23:09:32 2013.

2. Background
-------------
   Applicant writes:

    I'm 24 and a PhD student at the University of Nottingham, in the
    Functional Programming laboratory[1] of the School of Computer
    Science.

    I first used GNU/Linux in the late 90s, installing Slackware from
    several floppies onto a laptop which was given to me by my school, as
    more of a tinkering exercise than anything else. In the early 00s, I
    dual booted with Windows and a mix of Mandrake, Knoppix & Debian —
    dual monitors still weren't very happy with my setup, and this put me
    off switching for a long while. Finally in approximately 2005 I
    installed Ubuntu on my desktop when the hardware support arrived, and
    have used GNU/Linux exclusively ever since, currently a mix of Ubuntu
    and Debian desktop systems.

    I began working on distribution development in 2007/8, fixing random
    packaging bugs that I found in Ubuntu, and forwarding occasional
    patches back to Debian. This increased, and I slowly realised that
    contributing to Debian directly is of course the best way to
    contribute to all derivatives and to get work done. It is now a rare
    and irritating time when I am forced to diverge downstream, and I make
    sure to educate new contributors of this at every opportunity. For
    example I led a session jointly with Rhonda at a recent Ubuntu
    Developer Week on contributing back to Debian.

    My first attraction to Debian proper was by directhex, when he called
    for help with a Mono transition that was ongoing at the time. I've
    stayed in the team since, and am now a member and regular contributor
    to various packages in pkg-cli-apps, pkg-cli-libs, pkg-mono and also
    pkg-haskell. The principal packages I contribute to these days are the
    popular destkop applications tomboy and f-spot.

    My motivation for applying for a DD is to continue with my current
    work without having to rely on sponsors. I wish to keep on improving
    the quality of CLI/Mono packaging in Debian, as well as contributing
    to maintenance in pkg-haskell of those packages which are relevant to
    my work. I also plan on helping with initiatives to reduce the delta
    between Debian and derivatives where they exist, by education and
    sponsorship.

3. Philosophy and Procedures
-----------------------------
   Iain has a good understanding of Debian's philosophy and procedures
   and answered all my questions about the social contract,
   DFSG, BTS, etc. in a good way. He committed to uphold the SC and DFSG
   in his Debian work and accepts the DMUP.

4. Tasks and Skills
-------------------
   Iain has a good understanding of the technical side of Debian.
   He is maintainer of agda-stdlib and goocanvasmm and co-maintainer of
   further 17 packages.
   All packages are in good shape.
   Iain also answered my other questions regarding T&S without problems
   and provided a patch for an RC bug.

   I recommend to accept Iain as a Debian Developer and hope
   it won't take so long for the rest of the processing.
   Unfortunately the process took longer as it should have, due to limited
   time constraints on my side.