Re: Advocating Ben Finney <ben+debian@benfinney.id.au>

also sprach Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> [2010.02.16.1745 +1300]:
> But your advocation mail seems to break down into:
>
>  - other DDs who've sponsored him are happy with his work
>  - you've uploaded one of his packages and it was good
>  - he's active on lists
>
> The first is hearsay; the second, by your own admission, is
> insufficient on its own to warrant advocacy; and the third is not
> a reason to approve someone as a DD.  Mailing list activity is not
> something we should select for in project membership!

I am in a difficult situation because all of my conduct with Ben has
been positive, but I received a lot of backlash over my decision to
advocate him.

I have not been very active reading the lists that Ben frequents for
a while. I also have to admit that Ben was not among those with
inappropriate conduct that I remember from before I stopped
following the lists.

In the light of this, I am obliged to RETRACT my advocation for the
time being.

Given the feedback (and shit) I received in response to my
advocation, I have sought and read much of what Ben has contributed
to Debian, leaving me with the following conclusion:

- I think Ben is technically skilled, but there are areas where he
  can improve. While it might have been acceptable in the past e.g.
  not to understand precisely how source packages work, we are
  continuously growing in size and complexity, requiring increasing
  excellence in technical matters on the side of those with write
  access to the archive.

- It is true that not all his packages are in an excellent state,
  which one might expect from someone applying for membership.
  We have plenty of carelessness on the side of members already, so
  a new member should go through great lengths to convince us that
  we are not risking to increase that level of carelessness.

- His style of communication seems to rub some people strongly who
  have much credit to their name from their contributions in Debian.
  I suggest for Ben to take a lesson from that and consider the
  differences between his public conduct and his private
  correspondence (which in my case has never been a problem).

  At this point I would like to thank everyone who took the time to
  write in privately.

- We have the DM status, which will let Ben do everything that he is
  currently doing. There is no immediate need for Ben to become
  a Debian Developer (with more duties, responsibilities, and
  privileges attached), and I recommend he address these publicly
  voiced concerns before applying again.

Sorry for my mistake, and the extra work it has caused you.

--
 .''`.   martin f. krafft <madduck@d.o>      Related projects:
: :'  :  proud Debian developer               http://debiansystem.info

*** important disclaimer:
by sending an email to any address, that will eventually cause it to
end up in my inbox without much interaction, you are agreeing that:

  - i am by definition, "the intended recipient"
  - all information in the email is mine to do with as i see fit and
    make such financial profit, political mileage, or good joke as it
    lends itself to. in particular, i may quote it on usenet.
  - i may take the contents as representing the views of your company.
  - this overrides any disclaimer or statement of confidentiality that
    may be included on your message.