Re: Proposal: have NM and DM sign a package maintainer pledge

On Sun, Sep 20, 2009 at 02:49:39PM +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> > Beside the above wording remark, I've a problem with the first part of
> > the pledge: it is too limited in scope.
>
> It's intended. As I said it must apply to all package maintainers (DM as
> well, not only future DD).

I don't see the problem. If it is just a matter of audience, you can
have two different pledges, one for DD applicants, and one for DM
applicants. Also, the difference would be trivial: one paragraph
commented out in the DM pledge.

> > The Release Team, routinely before releases, complaints (rightful!) that
> > too few people work on RC bug which are not "theirs". The current NM
> > process, IMHO, does not stress enough the fact that being a DD is also
> > about something more than your own packages.
> If all DD/DM applied what this pledge says, we would not have to rely so
> much on having DD fixing someone else's package.

Sure, I was just pointing out that this pledge goes in the right
direction of raising the attention on the subject.

> > I would add to the pledge a statement that, once your packages are in
> > good condition, you should look forward to fix RC bugs in other
> > packages. If we agree that this should be part of the pledge text, I can
> > draft a corresponding sentence.
> I don't think it's a good idea. And it would only be acceptable for DD,
> and not all DD agree with this.
> I want this pledge to be uncontroversial so that its message remains clear
> and effective.

I believe the first part of my answer here address the DD vs DM
problem. Can you then please expand on why you don't think it is a good
idea to widen the attention to RC bugs on packages other than ours?

Additionally, I don't see how such extension would make the pledge more
controversial: the fact that we need people to do RC-countering-NMUs to
make releases possible is clear evidence for everyone. "Hiding" that
fact when you ask people to declare their good wills towards the project
looks rather pointless to me.

Cheers.