Re: Proposal: have NM and DM sign a package maintainer pledge

On Sun, Sep 20, 2009 at 12:41:25PM +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> I would like that all future package maintainers sign the following
> pledge during their acceptance process. It tries to define a minimal

Nice initiative, thanks.

> ----
> As a package maintainer, I will do my best to help the Debian project
> release a stable version of our operating system. In particular, I will
> work together with the release team and I will keep all packages
> associated to my name free of release critical bugs.

I'd rephrase this last sentence as "... and I will do my best to keep
all packages ...". IOW you should ask applicants to state their
"guarantee of invested efforts" rather than "guarantee of result"
(nobody can give the latter, everybody should give the former).

> Comments welcome.

Beside the above wording remark, I've a problem with the first part of
the pledge: it is too limited in scope.

The Release Team, routinely before releases, complaints (rightful!) that
too few people work on RC bug which are not "theirs". The current NM
process, IMHO, does not stress enough the fact that being a DD is also
about something more than your own packages.

I would add to the pledge a statement that, once your packages are in
good condition, you should look forward to fix RC bugs in other
packages. If we agree that this should be part of the pledge text, I can
draft a corresponding sentence.

Cheers.