AM report for Jon Dowland

1. Identification & Account Data
--------------------------------
   First name:      Jon
   Middle name:
   Last name:       Dowland
   Key fingerprint: FD35 0B0A C6DD 5D91 DB7A  83D1 168B 4E71 7032 F238
   Account:         jmtd
   Forward email:   jon@alcopop.org

   ID check passed, key signed by a dozen existing developers:
   sig!         DED45912 2006-08-26  Paul Martin <pm@nowster.org.uk>
   sig!         12066207 2006-09-01  Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk>
   sig!         F2CF01A8 2007-06-19  Bdale Garbee <bdale@gag.com>
   sig!         DD9B9910 2007-06-20  Philip Hands <phil@hands.com>
   sig!         58510B5A 2007-06-22  Christoph Berg <cb@df7cb.de>
   sig!         969457F0 2007-06-27  Joost van Baal <joostvb@mdcc.cx>
   sig!         330C4A75 2007-07-03  Martin F. Krafft <mail@martin-krafft.net>
   sig!         AC583520 2007-07-06  Holger Levsen <holger@layer-acht.org>
   sig!         3FCC2A90 2007-08-01  Amaya Rodrigo Sastre <amaya@debian.org>
   sig!         4E2ECA5A 2007-08-06  Moritz Muehlenhoff <jmm@debian.org>
   sig!2        5530EC76 2006-08-27  Simon McVittie (pseudorandom.co.uk) <smcv@pseudorandom.co.uk>
   sig!2        20687895 2007-02-16  Daniel Silverstone (DOB: 1980-04-09) <dsilvers@digital-scurf.org>
   sig-3        DA602822 2006-03-24  Andrew Stribblehill <ads@debian.org>

   Output from keycheck.sh:
   Key is ok
   Check for key expire stuff
   Key has no expiration date set, nothing to check.

2. Background
-------------
   Applicant writes: [Oct 2006]
   I am a 23-year old male UNIX systems administrator living in
   Newcastle, in North-East England.

   My first experience of Linux was at the turn of this
   century. I was involved with some people in the online
   community for the computer game "Doom". One of my friends in
   this community encouraged me to investigate Linux and I
   ended up using Debian to run a small home server hosting
   websites and email for myself and my friends.

   Having this stable and powerful platform available to me
   proved to be a great help for my academic work. I gradually
   became more comfortable and familiar with the environment,
   which was useful for a broader range of my tasks (web
   development, document processing) than alternative
   operating systems.

   I therefore feel I owe a lot to the Open Source community
   and Debian in particular: it helped to shape my
   understanding of computing and impacted decisions I made
   about my career and future.

   The most effective way for me to repay this debt is to
   contribute my own time and energy to the project. However
   this is not entirely altruistic, as through doing so I am
   meeting interesting people and learning and developing even
   further.

   I am currently focussing on two things within Debian:

   * activities related to the Doom (which seems fitting, given
     how I discovered Linux). I have set out a goal for the
     variety of programs that should be present for a
     "complete" doom experience in Debian[1] and I am working
     towards this goal as part of the Debian Games Project.

     [1] <http://wiki.debian.org/Games/Doom>

   * I am a member of the Debconf7 local team, planning and
     preparing the annual DebConf event to take place in
     Edinburgh (within 100 miles of where I live).

3. Philosophy and Procedures
-----------------------------
   Jon has a good understanding of Debian's philosophy and procedures
   and answered all my questions about the social contract,
   DFSG, BTS, etc. in a good way. Jon committed to uphold the SC and DFSG
   in his Debian work and accepts the DMUP.

4. Tasks and Skills
   Jon has a good understanding of the technical side of Debian. Jon
   is maintainer of several doom packages, and is a Debian Maintainer
   (DM). All packages are in good shape. Jon also answered my other
   questions regarding T&S without problems and provided patches for
   RC bugs.

   I recommend to accept Jon as a Debian Developer.

Christoph
--
cb@df7cb.de | http://www.df7cb.de/