Re: Why 0 new developer? (Re: NM Report for Week Ending 15 Mar 2009)

Hi Gunnar,

On Tue, 17 Mar 2009 18:40:58 -0600
Gunnar Wolf <gwolf@gwolf.org> wrote:
> NM is far from perfect, as it has already been said, but it is what we
> have. And FWIW, we have improved it quite a bit.

 Yes, yes. But I think more improvements are required for Debian now.
 # "Kaizen" is good thing (do you know this word?)

> As for "we needs more and more developers"... I tend to disagree. We
> need developers to be better. We need motivated people to join, and
> demotivated people to leave. It is not about being more - it is about
> being better.

 Yes, being better is important thing. But now, sometimes RFS packages
 or patches are left for a long time... The motivated people makes packages
 or suggests patches for Debian, to make it better, but they cannot "apply"
 to Debian... because they are not DDs. (Is it okay?)

 For example, as a po-debconf Japanese translator, I post po files for over
 300 packages, and I'm waiting, waiting, waiting... to apply those to packages
 for a long time. It frustrated me (but thank you for i18n NMU campaign :).

 And "Timing" is important factor. For example, some of people who applies
 to NM has changed his job (some are doctors) and became so busy for work
 while its process, and they cannot do anything with Debian. It's sad thing.

--
Regards,

 Hideki Yamane     henrich @ debian.or.jp/iijmio-mail.jp
 http://wiki.debian.org/HidekiYamane