Re: Why 0 new developer? (Re: NM Report for Week Ending 15 Mar 2009)

On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 04:31:58PM +0100, Ďoďo wrote:

> Another question Patrick,
>
> Real example:
> More then year ago I applied to become Debian developer. After some
> time I got answer that rule has change and I need to maintain at least
> to packages and I should wait for 1 year.
> My question is: Why should I come after 1 year again?
> I continue to maintain my 2 packages, I do not try any more to become
> debian developer and I want to become maintainer just not to ask
> always someone else to upload packages for me. I do not have too much
> time, and since process takes long time, I will may be decide to
> rather disturb always someone else to upload the latest version of my
> packages rather then to answer another question I got during my
> application processing. It is not optimal, but "I do not like
> processes" :)
>
> best regards
>
> Dodo

Dodo,

I without knowing the specifics of your situation, I can not begin to even
guess an explanation for your result.  I suspect the AM had some concerns
about something and thought perhaps some additional time working with a
mentor or other Debian developer (your upload sponsor maybe) would help.

It is a completely valid result for a person to continue to maintain a package
and always require a sponsor for uploading to Debian.  Please understand, this
is not an optimal outcome, but a valid one.

New maintainer processing takes time.  Most of the time is spent waiting for
the responses (in both directions).  If you are unable to come to terms with
this asynchronous process, it might be reasonable for you to continue with
sponsored uploads.  I would point out that upstream releases, bug reports,
patches, and other things Debian Developers have to deal with are also
highly variable in both the time required and the interval between events.

I don't know of anyone that believes the process is optimal, but it is the
current process.  You can choose to submit to the process, or not.  The
process has changed over time, and I expect it will continue to evolve in
the future.

Pat

--

Patrick Ouellette                 pat@flying-gecko.net
ne4po (at) arrl (dot) net         Amateur Radio: NE4PO