Re: Why 0 new developer? (Re: NM Report for Week Ending 15 Mar 2009)

On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 09:22:12PM +0900, Hideki Yamane wrote:

> Hi,
>
>  Just a question.
>  # I'm not familiar with NM process now.
>
> On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 23:56:02 -0600
> NM Front Desk <new-maintainer@debian.org> wrote:
> > Weekly Summary Statistics
> > =========================
> > 2 more people applied to become a new maintainer
> > 0 applicants became maintainers.
>
>  Why any people cannot become a new Debian Developer in these days?
>  What is the bottleneck for that, or there is any reason?
>  We needs more and more developers, I think.
>
>  # but I don't want to blame someone. Just want to know why and how to solve it.

There are many reasons.  Check out the new maintainer pages.  One (and just one)
reason is the time it takes for applicants to respond to the questions asked as
part of the NM process.  Many applicants are students or professionals with
multiple demands on their time.  The same can be said of the NM staff who
guide the applicants through the process.

Pat

--

Patrick Ouellette                 pat@flying-gecko.net
ne4po (at) arrl (dot) net         Amateur Radio: NE4PO