Re: Debian Membership

On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 05:15:54PM +0100, Jan Hauke Rahm wrote:
> IANADD.
>
> Hi Martin,
>
> On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 03:10:38PM +0000, Martin Meredith wrote:
> > My suggestion to add to the NM process would be something along similar lines.
> > We currently have a NM council, Front Desk, etc etc. I would think that it would
> > be nice if we could add in a process where someone could get "hand waved"
> > through NM based on a majority vote from an approved set of people (say FD, NM
> > team, or something similar)
>
> Would you consider this addition to the NM process to apply for "other
> contributors" as well? I'm thinking about the translators who contribute
> a lot but don't go through NM because they don't want to deal with e.g.
> library packaging just to get the right of vote in a project that they
> extensively contribute to but just in a different way than most of the
> others. I'm asking because IIRC this is one of (or THE one) the special
> cases where a "membership without upload rights" (or whatever it's
> called) came up in the pre-lenny discussions. If they could get "hand
> waved" through NM we could abstain from a special group of "members w/o
> upload rights but w/ vote rights", couldn't we?

As I think my previous email might not have been exactly clear. I'm not an
advocate of "hand waving" contributors through NM to a place where they have
upload rights. It's my opinion that upload rights shouldn't be granted to all
Debian Members. Just to those who are actively working on packaging/code.

This would also mean that, for example, emeritus developers could still be a
Debian Member, but not have upload rights.