Re: DM application for Martin-Éric Racine

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 08:03:28AM +0000, Thomas Weber wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am Montag, den 12.01.2009, 22:55 +0100 schrieb Pierre Habouzit:
> > Now that's a recommendation.  You mean the guy dealing with:
> >
> >   - http://packages.qa.debian.org/i/insight.html
> >   - http://packages.qa.debian.org/e/enchant.html
> >     or even
> >   - http://packages.qa.debian.org/p/ptex-bin.html
> >
> > and didn't care to either orphan his packages or seek co-maintenance
> > AFAICT, but still disappeared without a word since august 2008. Yeah,
> > Hell of a recommandation for sure.
>
> You have nothing to say about Martin-Éric, but criticizes his sponsor.
> If you have a problem with Masayuki, you should clarify that with him
> directly or the MIA team, if necessary.

Okay, we can also talk about the recent gs debacle if you prefer, where
the maintainer uploaded over a NMU reverting a fix, and causing
collateral damage so that people had to use t-p-u as a workaround:

  * the NMU:
    http://packages.qa.debian.org/g/ghostscript/news/20081229T223211Z.html
  * the perfect idea, let's upload a new upstream during a hard freeze,
    always makes good impression, and of course do that before the NMU
    has transitioned for good measure:
    http://packages.qa.debian.org/g/ghostscript/news/20090104T031709Z.html
  * and people having to use t-p-u for that:
    http://packages.qa.debian.org/g/ghostscript/news/20090106T104705Z.html

What I'm saying is that I don't trust his opinion of Martin-Éric, and
that on the other hand, I've not seen Matin-Éric methods improve in his
recent work. For example:
http://packages.qa.debian.org/c/cups-pdf/news/20080624T001702Z.html
or http://packages.qa.debian.org/i/ispell-et/news/20080908T073206Z.html
or http://packages.qa.debian.org/r/rus-ispell/news/20080910T113208Z.html
show that he for example doesn't test upgrade paths on a regular basis.
I cannot say if he's still handling people the same way he did in the
past for I see no really major contribution since.
--
·O·  Pierre Habouzit