Re: NMU rules

On Tue, Feb 05, 2008 at 12:31:35PM -0800, Don Armstrong wrote:
> > On Tue, Feb 05, 2008 at 08:10:43AM +0100, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> > > Maybe we should write a DEP about "Recommended practices for NMU" to
> > > clarify all this. Is someone interested in driving this with me?
>
> From where I sit, the right way to do this is to propose a patch to
> dev-ref changing whatever is incorrect in dev-ref to contain the
> proper consensus,

Well, yes, that's the idea.  As I understand the DEP proposal, it just
streamlines exactly that process.  By saying "let's create a DEP about
it", we're saying that we want a patch for dev-ref, by finding out what
the consensus about this really is (or trying to reach it, if it doesn't
exist yet), and once all that is done, propose the patch.  The DEP
should be ACCEPTED before the patch is proposed.

The whole point is that there doesn't seem to be real consensus about
this, so we will want to reach that first.  It isn't as simple as "we
all know how it should be, let's just write it down", I think.  But if
you disagree, please suggest the proper response to the discussion that
triggered this idea: when an NMU is made, and uploaded to the 2-day
DELAYED queue, is the maintainer right to complain that he should have
been given more time?  And when it was uploaded directly to ftp-master?

Looking at the responses, I'd say it's safe to conclude that there is no
consensus about this yet.  Lucas wants to change that, and so do I. :-)

> and pointing problematic maintainers at it and the discussion of its
> rationale.

While the discussion is happening, a DRAFT DEP is much nicer than a
bunch of mailinglist threads.  When this particular DEP is ACCEPTED, a
patch to dev-ref should be proposed and once it's in, the DEP can go to
OBSOLETE.  So in this case, the main benefit of using DEP is that during
the discussion there is a readable document telling about the state.

Thanks,
Bas

For more information, see http://pcbcn10.phys.rug.nl/e-mail.html