Re: DM application for Adam C??cile (Le_Vert)

On Tuesday 5 February 2008 03:00, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 04, 2008 at 11:58:01PM +0100, Thijs Kinkhorst wrote:
> > My point here is this: why use a DELAYED/2 queue when a DELAYED/10 upload
> > suffices just as well to reach the goal,
>
> Because it gets the fix to users eight days earlier. And if the fix is
> wrong, it means that the feedback loop is quicker, to the point you can
> have three or four attempts to reach the correct fix, in the same time.

Very much agreed, but this goes for any bug, up to fixing a manpage formatting
issue.

> The longer DELAYED directories are there primarily because it makes people
> doing NMUs more comfortable, not to let maintainers who have less time
> remain the sole uploaders of their packages.

Well, Debian does have a concept of maintainership of packages. I think this
limited amount of exclusivity is good as long as it is limited: as a
maintainer of a package you're often more aware of specific intricacies of
code, or any aspect that may influence a patch. On the other hand a
maintainer out of time delays fixes unnecessarily long.

On Tuesday 5 February 2008 01:16, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Well, I'd really like to get people out of the habit of thinking that NMUs
> are something horrible.  DELAYED/2 gets a fix out to the users of unstable
> faster, and then the maintainer can make another upload later.

Well, me too, that's why I did not suggest NMU's are horrible (I'm not sure
where you got that idea). I also did not advocate a longer delay than 10, and
this is with reason. In my view 10 (or even down to 7) is a very good balance
between fixing things when the maintainer is out of time, and allowing for a
large majority of "Debian-schedules" of DD's to cope with it themselves
first. Because 10 days includes at least every day of the week, plus a little
bit extra, it serves to ensure that even those only working on Debian on the
weekend, or  only during work hours, or Thursday nights, or whatever, are
accomodated.

Zero-day NMU's are excellent for stuff that really breaks things. If it's more
of a feature release goal, that can still be important to get fixed, but the
extra week will not hurt in that case and realises the issue just as well.

Thijs