Re: About lost Debian NM applicants

Reinhard Tartler wrote on 29/09/2006 08:31:
> Thijs Kinkhorst <thijs@debian.org> writes:
>
>>so why not shift some of the more senior AM's up to FD and
>>DAM tasks, and take on fresh AM's to replace them?
>
> I think if there were some candidates, willing and able to do DAM/FD
> work, then DAM and FD would be staffed up. This leads to the question
> who decides if and when someone is ready and able to do the job. Well,
> in the case of DAM and FD, this is up to the existing persons who
> already do the job. And currently it seems that they think either
>
>   - that their position doesn't need to staffed up because they can cope
>     the workload,
> or
>   - there are no candidates which could do the job as good as they do.
>
> I may of course be wrong and would applaud every nen member of FD or DAM
> :)

Of course, there is also a third possibility, which has (wether
rightfully or not, I don't know) also been suggested from time to time:

 - or that they don't want to share their powerful position in Debian

Actually, I don't care. The third reason obviously would be _very_ wrong
given the nature of the Debian project. The first position oviously
seems false, given the time people need to wait at the relevant steps of
the NM queue. This leaves the second position. And if this is the case,
they should perhaps make the most advanced people in the NM queue wait a
little(!) longer while they educate the most knowledgable AMs to be able
to handle FD, teach the most knowledgable FD people to become assistant
DAMs and let Joerg become a full DAM. Sure, this would delay the current
queue for a while, but it would speed up the process for the future.

The problem with being FD/DAM is that the classic approach of "read up,
learn for yourself" simply is ineffective if it works at all (to the
level to satisfy the current DAMs wishes for fellow DAM qualifications).

regards,
Sven