Re: Suggestion: Time limit for NM process

Raphael Hertzog <hertzog <at> debian.org> writes:
> [AMs] would not be forced to use the system, but they would just be forced
> to provide the mbox when someone is put on hold. This would facilitate
> transitions between AM.

No one can be forced to do anything in Debian.  This is one of the things
that makes it different from other organizations, even from other volunteer
organizations.  In other volunteer organizations, accepting a position implies
an obligation to do the work associated with that position; but in Debian a
Developer can hold a position such as AM without doing the work that goes with
it.  This principle is established in the constitution (§2.1).  This makes
Debian somewhat special.  For those with Debian titles it's comfortable because
there are never any grounds for criticism.  On the other hand it is a problem
when a member exercises this right in such a way that others are prevented
from reaching their goals.  Combined with the principle of territoriality
(according to which exclusive powers are assigned to many positions) you have
a recipe for deadlock and frustration.

I don't expect these principles to be changed any time soon and so I don't
have much hope that Debian will become more efficient or that participating in
Debian will become less frustrating in the future.

--
Thomas Hood