Re: fresh blood gets congested: long way to become DD

On Mon, 2006-01-09 at 18:15 +0000, Simon Huggins wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 08, 2006 at 09:00:05AM +0100, Sven Mueller wrote:
> > Simon Huggins wrote on 07/01/2006 18:44:
> > > Many eyes make bugs shallow.
> > So you would recommand that 100 DDs check all applications because it
> > would make sure less applications pass despite a number of problems in
> > those applications?
>
> No, I was replying to Thijs Kinkhorst who wants to merge FD and DAM and
> only have two people check the whole report.

As Sven already said, you can also add 100 DDs to check an applicant and
even further reduce the number of problematic cases. The question of
course is where to draw the line.

If I modify the current situation to leave out the FD, I get:
1) Advocate: developer A makes an informed recommendation for a specific
applicant, after having worked with, or having reviewed their current
work in Debian;
2) AM: Developer B takes the applicant through a months-long testing
programme covering all kinds of questions and tasks;
3) DAM: Developer C does a complete review of the work of the applicant
and developer B and approves or rejects.

Already, three different existing developers, one of which is
specifically appointed to this task by the DPL, have to vouch for this
applicant in order for him to pass. Do you really think adding a fourth
DD to this process will catch more unfit applicants?

The whole goal is to weed out the people who are clearly not fit to be a
DD. Maybe the extra FD check will catch a "bug" in an application.
People who just lack a little skill in some specific area are not
dangerous to the project and will learn on the job or look it up when
necessary.

Thijs