Re: [debian-newmaint] fresh blood gets congested: long way to become DD

On Thu, Nov 10, 2005 at 01:41:37AM -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 10, 2005 at 04:36:47AM -0300, Blu Corater wrote:
> > I have considered many times to apply to become part of the proyect, but
> > nowdays I more often regret not having done it back then, mainly because
> > with the current states of things I find quite ridiculous to be evaluated
> > for more than three years to be accepted.
>
> I find this to be a ridiculous exaggeration.  The average time from AM
> assignment to account creation is much *less* than three years among those
> applicants who have become Debian Developers over the past six months; and
> the time spent on NM varies with the preparedness of the candidate.  It also
> varies according to when the applicant entered the queue, as applicants are
> completing the process faster now than they were last year before the DAM
> backlog was cleared.  The average, though, seems to be something less than 1
> year.

I stand corrected then.

> The current bottleneck in the NM process is that the rate at which new
> applicants apply exceeds the rate at which our existing application managers
> can accept applicants.  Unless you're arguing that Debian should not attempt
> to assess incoming applicants *at all*, I don't see how you can claim that
> this is caused by people trying to make Debian too elitist.

My perception of Debian becoming elitist comes from other things too,
apart from the NM issue. I could be wrong though. But I am getting now
that the problem of the NM process is is more organizational than any
other thing.
[...]

> > and, not that I want to, but it would be easier for me to enter the secret
> > service of my country than to enter Debian.
>
> I'm trying really hard to understand that as a criticism, and it's just not
> working...  I just can't bring myself to think that military and
> intelligence organizations have appropriate standards that can be fairly
> compared to Debian. :)

Maybe a not so happy comparison. Intelligence organizations tend to
investigate and test their candidates very throughoutly, which leads to
a high rate of rejection and long waits, but no so long as Debian make
wait some of their applicants. I realize now that the most part of the
waiting period in Debian is not due an overjelous evaluation but due a
lack of manpower to process the applications. Thanks for the
clarification.

--
Blu.