Re: [debian-newmaint] fresh blood gets congested: long way to become DD

On Thu, Nov 10, 2005 at 09:07:46PM +0100, Jutta Wrage wrote:

> Am 10.11.2005 um 08:36 schrieb Blu Corater:
>
> >Debian needs qualified people more than
> >ever and, instead of attracting the talent, Debian is discouraging the
> >applicants making them go through a process more strict, burocratic
> >and
> >discouraging than some national security agencies.
>
> Sorry, but from my point of view as a long time debian user this is
> nonsense. If you want to help in the project, you can do that without
> being Debian Developer (DD) and all the people in the New Maintainer
> queue do that, too - or may not become a DD.

I do too, that's not what I was pointing. My perception is that Debian is
lacking manpower in several areas, and that the organization is not being
able to cope with its own size and grow rate.

> And if the process discourages people, who really do not want to
> learn what is in the Policy and other things, they have to know as
> DD: Who cares? Would Debian be better, if those people could become a
> DD easier?

I agree, but again that was not the point. I was talking about people who
is willing to learn whatever is necessary to be part of the project, but
find themselves entangled in a long and burocratic process to be accepted.

Note that I'm not saying that the process -is- that bad, it is only my
perception as an outsider who try to be informed about what is going on.

--
Blu