Re: Using orphaned packages as NM playground

Hi Matthew!

Matthew Palmer [2005-09-05 20:31 +1000]:
> I've pointed my applicants at orphaned packages in the past.  It works
> fairly well -- it gives them some experience dealing with real-world messes,
> and the end result is something that won't just get binned.
>
> I've been content with asking my applicants to pick a package of their own,
> but I suppose that picking a particular package intended to stretch the
> applicant might be a better move.

I thought about looking for some particular bad packages as example
(helps the applicant, since he might not yet instantly see which
packages are messy).

> I've also tended to get my applicants to triage a couple of RC bugs, and
> either provide a patch or at least some more useful debugging info.  Again,
> I've gone "pick your own", but assigning bugs might be handy, too.

Right, this "pick an RC bug and solve it" is something I ask my NMs
for a while.

Thanks,

Martin

--